[News] Time for GNU/Linux in a Depressed Industry

Linux in The Economic Meltdown

,----[ Quote ]
| As the US economy continues to shift for the worse, I find myself thinking
| back to recent trips to a local bank where I noticed that Windows 2000 Pro is
| the norm and the computers, if updated at all, might be using Windows XP.
| Vista is clearly not happening. And this is not even taking into
| consideration that most people still use Windows XP. So what about the Linux
| alternative?

Open Source and the Financial Meltdown

,----[ Quote ]
| I tend to think Blankenhorn's analysis is right on the money. Previous
| recessions and meltdowns have brought huge upswings in the technology
| industry overall. "The PC boom emerged from the bottom of a recession in the
| early 80s, and the Internet boom from another in the early 90s," Blankenhorn
| notes.

Compiere Closes Third Quarter with Continued Global Expansion and 195 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Compiere, Inc., the global leader in open source business solutions, this
| week closed a strong third quarter during which the company reports a 195
| percent revenue growth for Q3 2008 compared to Q3 2007, as well as a 59
| percent growth in subscribers. In addition, the company continued its global
| expansion by adding partners in North America, Europe, Middle East and
| Africa, and Asia Pacific regions.

Stay secure despite crunch

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software packages are another option from companies who want to
| reduce the cost of their IT security. There are numerous examples of
| open-source security products that are used by businesses around the world.
| Clam AB is a well regarded anti-virus package.
| According to Gavin Henrick from open source consultancy Enovation, Clam AB is
| a viable option for Irish firms looking for an alternative to
| subscription-based products like Norton Anti-Virus. Similarly, Snort is a
| popular open source network intrusion prevention and detection system.

Open source in a time of recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Something new will emerge from this recession but open source enters it on a
| fairly mature level. The legal framework and values of it are established.
| There are serious open source players.

Can Ruby, Rails Make Developers Shine in a Downturn?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will specialty coding skills help developers ride out the financial crisis?
| Some say environments like Ruby and Ruby on Rails may enable developers to
| fare better in times of financial stress because they can do more with less
| and be more productive. Others say that argument is a stretch.

What Will Economy Do to Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a tough economy, it’s no surprise to see more stories about CIOs who want
| to do more with less and those who are looking to open source to do that.
| After all, it is “priced right” as Linux Foundation executive director Jim
| Zemlin told eWEEK recently.

Open Source To The Rescue In Hard Times

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a spiel that makes a lot of sense on the face of it. Switch to open
| source and you'll not only save money (who doesn't want to do that?) but
| guard yourself against the unexpected repercussions of these financially grim
| days.

The free software ecosystem and its denizens

,----[ Quote ]