[News] Wikia Search Engine Adds APIs

Open-source Wikia Search adds tool to customize results

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia Search, an open-source search tool launched early this year by
| Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, today opened its platform with a new
| application programming interface (API) that allows individuals or business
| to create interactive search results.
| The Wikia Intelligent Search Extension (WISE) platform, announced Wednesday,
| provides APIs that let third parties provide enhanced search results called
| WISEApps for specific keywords.

Wikia Rolls Out New Features for Open Source Search Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia Search project puts results more firmly in the hands of real people,
| unveils a slew of new features that let users edit, comment on and influence
| search results.

Wikia: Open Search, Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| You may not have heard of Wikia Search before. A relatively new project from
| the Wikipedia folks, they've entered the search-engine fray with an attitude
| that is just about as open as it is possible to be. Not only is their
| underlying software open source (under BSD licenses), but the very search
| results themselves are as open to editing as Wikipedia pages.

Wikia Search Invites Users to Stir the Pot

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikia has a different idea of how a search engine should operate: Humans
| should be involved. Toward that end, it has retooled its fledgling open
| source Wikia Search tool to allow users to collaborate on refining results.

Wikipedia, Wikia and the Future of Free Culture

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wikipedia’s license allows you the:
| Freedom to copy
| Freedom to modify
| Freedom to redistribute
| Freedom to redistribute modified versions
| He goes on to further refine his term the sum of all human knowledge. He
| describes Wikipedia as an encyclopedia, not a data dump. This is a Global
| Movement to gather content in every single language.

Niche social networks welcome: Wikia open sources social tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Community wiki building site Wikia, has announced they are allowing their
| social networking platform to become open source. This will allow anyone to
| easily create a social community complete with profiles, avatars, friending,
| etc… within their MediaWiki-based wiki sites.

Wikia's Search Philosophy: It Takes a Village to Challenge a Giant

,----[ Quote ]
| "What you see here is our first alpha release," says a greeting on the Wikia
| Search site. "We are aware that the quality of the search results is low. Of
| course, before we start, we have no user feedback data. So the results are
| pretty bad. But we expect them to improve rapidly in coming weeks, so please
| bookmark the site and return often."

Wikia search engine to go live on Monday

,----[ Quote ]
| Search Wikia, the widely awaited search engine from Wikipedia founder Jimmy
| Wales, is slated to make its official debut on Monday, with the bet that an
| open-source, community-driven effort can disrupt and reshape this
| Google-dominated market.

Wikia Search Project to Launch Jan. 7, Wales says

,----[ Quote ]
| Wales has started to invite a handful of people to test an early version of
| the search platform, which will be publicly launched on Jan. 7, he wrote in
| anemailto the Wikia mailing list Monday.

Wikipedia like search engine to use Apache Lucene - Nutch

,----[ Quote ]
| The search engine, code-named Wikiasari, would combine open source
| technology and human intervention to deliver more relevant results
| than the algorithm-based systems used today, Wales said Tuesday.
| "Human intelligence is still the best thing we have, so let's let
| humans do what they do best, and computers do what they do best."
| Wales says that the reason for Wikiasari is that search as we know
| it is broken: "It is broken for the same reason that proprietary
| software is always broken: lack of freedom, lack of community,
| lack of accountability, lack of transparency."

Wikipedia founder hunts for gold

,----[ Quote ]