[News] [SOT] Government-endorsed Breach of Human Rights Still Possible in the US

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Government-endorsed Breach of Human Rights Still Possible in the US
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:27:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hitwise and Compete: the user data US ISPs do sell

,----[ Quote ]
| Testifying before Congress last month, three of America's four largest ISPs
| said they wouldn’t sell customer data to the likes of Phorm and NebuAd
| without getting consent. And the press applauded. But no one thought to ask
| one more question: Are they selling customer data to anyone else?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/08/hitwise_compete_and_isps/

US data mining under fire

,----[ Quote ]
| A FEDERAL PANEL of policy makers and scientists has published a report
| questioning the effectiveness of data mining in the seemingly ubiquitous war
| against terror.
|
| The controversial practice has been aggressively utilised by various security
| agencies since the 9/11 attacks in 2001. Indeed, counter-terrorism officials
| routinely attempt to analyse records related to travel habits, calling
| patterns, e-mail and financial transactions.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/08/mining-under-fire

Recent:

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

Police drop BT-Phorm probe

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission is now the last authority that could move against BT
| and Phorm, or punish UK authorities for their failure to enforce privacy
| regulations. Responsibility for enforcing those rules belongs to the
| Information Commissioner's Office. In letters to BT earlier this year,
| obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, it agreed with the firm that
| its customers were too stupid to understand what the tests were about, and
| said it did not intend to pursue the matter.
|
| Commission lawyers are currently analysing the UK government's explanation of
| why no action has been taken. Last week the Department for Business,
| Enterprise and Regulatory Reform said it believes future Phorm deployments
| can be legal, but refused to make public what it told Brussels about the
| secret trials.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/22/bt_phorm_police_drop/

More on Number 10’s website fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| The original stylesheet4 is 612 lines in length and is 9234 bytes in size
| (9KB).
|
| The modified stylesheet5 is 3826 lines long and weighs in at a frankly
| astonishing 63724 bytes (63KB)!
|
| [...]
|
| “If” the developers have modified the Wordpress engine, as is being suggested
| as a possibility here, and then sold it to the Government, in my humble
| understanding that means they have distributed their modifications. That
| means those modifications must also be licensed under the GPL. I had a quick
| look on New Media Maze’s web site and couldn’t find an area for software
| downloads or mention of the GPL. That doesn’t say anything to be honest and
| there might be nothing to this, but it would be interesting to find out a bit
| more… Is there a real Wordpress guru who can look at the “footprint” of the
| XHTML the site generates and tell if it is different? Or are there any other
| ways to tell if it has been modified?
|
| Anyway, what a wheez this all is for us bloggers: It just isn’t Gordon’s year
| is it…
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/18/more-on-number-10/

ISPs Will All Spy on Their Customers, Professor Warns

,----[ Quote ]
| If there's a candidate for the worst future violator of your privacy, look no
| further than the company you pay for broadband.
|
| So says University of Colorado law professor and former federal prosecutor
| Paul Ohm, who argues in a new article that ISPs have the means, motive and
| opportunity to kill your online privacy.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/isps-will-all-s.html

Phorm secretly tracked Americans too

,----[ Quote ]
| of British Telecom customers as part of its grand scheme to target online ads
| from inside the world's ISPs, it was "operating a number of public commercial
| services" on various stateside networks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/13/phorm_us_tests/

Spy fear over e-mail check plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Plans to give local councils and other public bodies the power to monitor
| e-mail and internet traffic have been branded a "snoopers' charter".
|
| The government wants to make it mandatory for phone and internet companies to
| store all information on personal web use for 12 months.

Bad Phorm: EU demands UK Government response on intrusive web ad tracking
technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Controversial behavioral advertising targeting outfit Phorm, whose Webwise ad
| technology monitors user browsing habits to serve appropriate advertising
| messages, might have dragged the UK Government into a slugfest with the
| European Union over a possible breach of strict Euro data laws...
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19884/1054/

Controversial Ad Network Caught Editing Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| Phorm has been beset by controversy for years over its business model and
| quietly-run trials on British Telecom's (BT) broadband service.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/04/08/controversial-ad-network-caught-editing-wikipedia

British authorities lost memory stick containing information about dangerous
criminals

,----[ Quote ]
| This stick apparently contains unencrypted information on numerous
| incarcerated criminals in England and Wales.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/114704

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

UK government stole website theme