[News] Free Software Roadmap Established in Thailand

Agency to boost use, local development of open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Industry Promotion Agency (Sipa) has developed the country's first
| open-source software-development road map to transform Thailand into a
| leading open-source development centre by 2011.
`----

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/07/technology/technology_30085300.php

Microsoft's shenanigans are abusing Thailand and fight freedom there. Examples
below.

Recent:

European Parliament Set To Reprimand Mandelson For Pressuring Thailand

,----[ Quote ]
| Shortly after a new government was installed in Bangkok earlier this year,
| European Union trade commissioner Peter Mandelson urged it to review a series
| of compulsory licenses issued by the previous administration that overruled
| patents on several medicines.
|
| [...]
|
| Agnoletto alleged that there is a contradiction between statements that
| Mandelson has made to the Parliament and those contained in his letter. “He
| is using two different languages,” Agnoletto added. “I have the impression he
| is working more for the pharmaceutical industry than for the Commission.”
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1032

Related:

Free laptops a hit with [Thai] children

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptops, which are sponsored by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
| (MIT), cost US$176 (about 5,600 baht) each.
|
| The school is one of two in the central province chosen for the pilot
| programme.
`----

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/03Mar2008_news10.php

Here it is from a better source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.iosn.net/asean-3/countries/thailand/news/thai-open-sourcers-meet-ict-minister

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/11/28/026232.shtml

Thai Open Sourcers Meet ICT Minister

,----[ Quote ]
| Eight representatives from Thai Open Source Associations and
| users/developers of open source software met Dr. Sitthichai, Thai
| ICT minister, discussing about open source in Thailand and roles
| of the government.
|
| They handed the open letter (asking for support of open source) with
| 800 names of supporters on to the minister. He apologized and
| admitted that he is hardware-oriented and does not have knowledge
| about software that much. He said he does not oppose. He just
| does not know. From now on, he is willing to support open source
| software usage and development by the local industry.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Thai_Open_Sourcers_Meet_ICT_Minister

Thai FOSS Community Responds to IT Minister

,----[ Quote ]
| Other than these, we see the following economic advantages in adopting open
| source software:
|
|    1. Reduction in the piracy rate...
|    2. Supporting the development of technology in-country...
|    3. Increasing the potential of Thai developers.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Thai_FOSS_Community_Responds_to_IT_Minister

Thailand: Egat turns to open source to cut costs

,----[ Quote ]
| There are 7,000 PC units based on Open Office or 70 per cent of all 12,000 PC
| units in the organisation.
`----

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/28/technology/technology_30046747.php

Advanced Info Service Uses Red Hat [in Thailand]

,----[ Quote ]
| "AIS is currently the biggest mobile phone operator in Thailand,
| so the availability preference for us is 99.999 percent uptime,"
| said Arakin Rakchittapoke, Infrastructure Platform Development,
| ICTM, AIS. "For every minute of downtime, there is potential for
| 60,000 complaints and we can't have that.
`----

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=121013

[Thai] LinuxTLE 8.0: Patong Released

http://www.opentle.org/

[Thai] Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks.
| Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has
| found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals
| and operation of a Linux system.
`----

http://www.coredistro.org/news-20070501

World's lowest cost Linux thin client? [from Thailand]

,----[ Quote ]