[News] Fantastic Free Software Growth at Time of Recession: 195% for Compiere

Compiere Closes Third Quarter with Continued Global Expansion and 195 Percent
Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Compiere, Inc., the global leader in open source business solutions, this
| week closed a strong third quarter during which the company reports a 195
| percent revenue growth for Q3 2008 compared to Q3 2007, as well as a 59
| percent growth in subscribers. In addition, the company continued its global
| expansion by adding partners in North America, Europe, Middle East and
| Africa, and Asia Pacific regions.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/compiere-closes-third-quarter-continued/story.aspx?guid=%7B616CBB6A-2AAA-4E4E-8155-680FDE4B68E5%7D&dist=hppr

Stay secure despite crunch

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software packages are another option from companies who want to
| reduce the cost of their IT security. There are numerous examples of
| open-source security products that are used by businesses around the world.
| Clam AB is a well regarded anti-virus package.
|
| According to Gavin Henrick from open source consultancy Enovation, Clam AB is
| a viable option for Irish firms looking for an alternative to
| subscription-based products like Norton Anti-Virus. Similarly, Snort is a
| popular open source network intrusion prevention and detection system.
`----

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=COMPUTERS+IN+BUSINESS-qqqs=computersinbusiness-qqqid=36317-qqqx=1.asp

Open source in a time of recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Something new will emerge from this recession but open source enters it on a
| fairly mature level. The legal framework and values of it are established.
| There are serious open source players.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2972

Can Ruby, Rails Make Developers Shine in a Downturn?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will specialty coding skills help developers ride out the financial crisis?
| Some say environments like Ruby and Ruby on Rails may enable developers to
| fare better in times of financial stress because they can do more with less
| and be more productive. Others say that argument is a stretch.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Can-Ruby-Rails-Make-Developers-Shine-in-a-Downturn/

What Will Economy Do to Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a tough economy, it’s no surprise to see more stories about CIOs who want
| to do more with less and those who are looking to open source to do that.
| After all, it is “priced right” as Linux Foundation executive director Jim
| Zemlin told eWEEK recently.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=461

Open Source To The Rescue In Hard Times

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a spiel that makes a lot of sense on the face of it. Switch to open
| source and you'll not only save money (who doesn't want to do that?) but
| guard yourself against the unexpected repercussions of these financially grim
| days.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/10/open_source_to.html

The free software ecosystem and its denizens

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is a remarkable phenomenon.  It is a highly evolved form of
| collaboration: compared to other creative endeavors, free software developers
| all over the world are able to work together on a project with surprisingly
| little friction.  It is a grassroots political movement which has grown from
| small online communities to span geographical and national boundaries.  It is
| a multicultural social group with unique and diverse characteristics.  It has
| spawned a variety of self-governing organizations and successful
| corporations.
`----

http://mdzlog.wordpress.com/2008/10/07/free-software-ecosystem/

As the future of proprietary software grows dimmer, Debian gains.

Recent:

Deploying KDE [and Debian] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Universities that do not use Free Software: Time for a boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
| I received an email recently from a young man in Brazil who wanted me to come
| to his university and talk to the students and faculty about using Free
| Software. I am normally happy to advise universities to use Free Software,
| but usually this is done in conjunction with some large conference held at
| the university or some other venue. I just do not have the time to visit each
| and every school. But I did investigate the university of the student and
| found that Microsoft was indeed a sponsor of the University. In fact, the
| university had a large banner on the front page of their web site talking
| about Microsoft as a partner. It was the first time I saw a university
| advertising a commercial firm on their home page.
|
| I started doing a little more investigation of the student's city and found
| that there was another university in the same city that was very active with
| Free Software. In fact, they had a mirror of Debian software and were
| actively promoting Free Software.
|
| [...]
|
| Ten years ago a boycott might not have been possible. There were too few
| universities that had access to enough really good Free Software to ask the
| students to make a "sacrifice" in forsaking a university that only used
| proprietary software to teach. Now, with the range of Free Software that is
| available, and with the marketplace crying out for new programmers trained in
| Free Software development techniques, and with many more good universities
| using Free Software to teach courses, the university "marketplace" is ready
| for the boycott.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/blogs/paw_prints_writings_of_the_maddog/universities_that_do_not_use_free_software_time_for_a_boycott

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux