Re: [News] Italian Carrier Offers GNU/Linux Laptops

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

$98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote

,----[ Quote ]
HiVision CO., LTD makes one of the worlds cheapest Linux laptops at
$98 using a new cheaper chipset, WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs
Linux, 3 USB ports, Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out.
Voice-chat, Skype, multi-tabbed Firefox browser support, Abiword
for word processing.
`----

http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linux-laptop-the-hivision-mininote/

This is truly good news and will help to popularise Linux even further than the ASUS EeePC and other efforts. At that price, I would not mind having something like that to use in motel rooms during my travels.

<SNIP>

Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs

,----[ Quote ]
By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft
hopes to secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of
Linux, according to an official at one PC maker, who asked not to
be identified because he was not authorised to discuss the
programme.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/hardware/laptops/news/index.cfm?newsid=9006

This may be a tough do, as XP is a chunkier operating system lacking the sparkling performance of Linux with a lightweight GUI. Then too, one still needs a form of background anti-virus and personal firewall, which adds burden to the CPU.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati