[News] Ubuntu Awards for Free Culture

Ubuntu announces free culture winners

,----[ Quote ]
| The winners of this round of the Ubuntu culture showcase are Andrés Vidau, an
| electronics engineer and Mexican musician and Andrew Higginson. Vidau’s
| submission was the track Patas de Trapo, a collaboration with guitarist
| Mauricio Barron.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3286

Also, on the power of package management:

Aptly Astounded

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though it's years since I crawled out of the dark cave of proprietary
| software, I remain amazed at the unending stream of free apps that are
| available in the realm of light. This is such a contrast to the world of
| Windows, which is predicated on the idea that you must buy everything or you
| can't have it. To be given good stuff, again and again, is an extraordinary
| blessing of free software that is all-too easy to overlook.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/10/aptly-astounded.html

Recent:

Report from Free Culture 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re reading this for the first time and have no idea what it is all
| about, the wiki contains a lot more information. The whole idea basically
| started from a few of us (mostly CC-affiliated academics) thinking that we
| need a forum to exchange our ideas and findings on research pertaining to
| aspects of the digital commons.
`----

http://hoikoinoi.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/report-from-free-culture-2008/

Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase is Born!

,----[ Quote ]
| Jono Bacon has announced the very first Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase!
|
| For a long time now we have been shipping a package called example-content
| with each release of Ubuntu. This package provides a bunch of different
| pieces of content including audio, video, PDFs, OpenOffice.org documents and
| more. The idea is that you can use this content to kickstart your new Ubuntu
| system and see what it can do. example-content has been really useful, but it
| has been languishing a little recently, and then we had a rather interesting
| idea…
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1616

Free Culture Gaming - 1st game night Saturday 8pm EDT

,----[ Quote ]
| Some folks from Free Culture at Virginia Tech came up with and, more
| impressively, actually started a Free Culture Gaming club! Every week Free
| Culture Gaming will get together to play free games online with other free
| culture aficionados. All of the games we play will be 100% free software and
| free content, as per our standards.
`----

http://freeculture.org/blog/2008/08/01/free-culture-gaming-1st-game-night-saturday-8pm-edt/

Students for Free Culture Conference 2008

http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2008/07/11/students-for-free-culture-conference-2008/

Related:

Information Liberation

,----[ Quote ]
| Other than in the realm of life-saving medicine, why should any of this
| matter to nonacademics? Well, for one thing, barriers to the spread of
| information are bad for capitalism. The dissemination of knowledge is almost
| as crucial as the production of it for the creation of wealth, and knowledge
| (like people) can't reproduce in isolation. It's easy to scoff at the rise of
| Madonna studies and other risible academic excrescences, but a flood of truly
| important research pours from campuses every day. The infrastructure that
| produces this work is surely one of America's greatest competitive
| advantages.
|
| In fact, open access might help to moderate some of the worst forms of
| academic hokum, if only by holding them up to the light of day -- and perhaps
| by making taxpayers, parents and college donors more careful about where they
| send their money. Entering the realm of delirium for a moment, one can even
| imagine public exposure encouraging professors in the humanities and social
| sciences to write in plain English.
|
| Keeping knowledge bottled up is also bad for the world's poor; indeed,
| opening up the research produced on America's campuses via the Internet is
| probably among the most cost-effective ways of helping underdeveloped
| countries rise from poverty. Closer to home, open access to scholarly work
| via the Internet would help counteract the plague of plagiarism that the
| Internet itself has abetted. Anyone suspecting a scholar of such chicanery
| could search for a phrase or two in Google and see if somebody else's work
| turns up with the same unusual text string.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120486540450119149.html

Harvard Research to Be Free Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Harvard University will soon begin posting research and articles produced by
| its faculty on the Internet free of charge.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/14/books/14arts-HARVARDRESEA_BRF.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Free Culture Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| The mission of the Free Culture movement is to build a bottom-up,
| participatory structure to society and culture, rather than a top-down,
| closed, proprietary structure. Through the democratizing power of digital
| technology and the Internet, we can place the tools of creation and
| distribution, communication and collaboration, teaching and learning into the
| hands of the common person — and with a truly active, connected, informed
| citizenry, injustice and oppression will slowly but surely vanish from the
| earth.
`----

http://ctkennedy.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/free-culture-manifesto/

Missing perspectives in "Free Culture"

,----[ Quote ]
| * Software and hardware are seen as tools for creating media such as
| image, text, music, movie etc.
|
| * Cultural production is seen only as the work done in the studio or the
| work done with tools for media production.
`----

http://www.burak-arikan.com/blog/2006/09/18/missing-perspectives-in-free-culture/
http://tinyurl.com/lqsrh

Copyright, bad faith, and software licensing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1768