Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
> <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Imagine that!  A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
>> of Mordorsoft.
>>
>> Not only surviving... flourishing.
>
> It's not dead; I'll give it that (and I hope it never
> dies; AmigaOS is effectively out of the picture, for
> example).  Also, Linux is rather popular with server and
> to a lesser extent mobiles (Symbian still being tops in
> that department).
>
> But Windows 95 had a far faster adoption rate, in 1995 or
> thereabouts.  Of course it had a little help from MS-DOS.

And from a marketing campaign blitz by Microsoft.

> I'll admit to wondering as to Windows' rate of adoption
> in the 1985 timeframe, when it first came out.

Windows was pure crap until version 3.  Right about when Microsoft stuck
a shiv in IBM's back.

--
The essential ideas of Algol 68 were that the whole language should be
precisely defined and that all the pieces should fit together smoothly.