Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Monday 06 October 2008 15:19 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Linux turns 17
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT, was the subject of Linus
>>| Benedict Torvalds post to comp.os.minix on October 5, 1991 -- seventeen
>>| years ago today.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-turns-17
>
> 17 years, and still only at 1% <guffaw>.
>
> Imagine that!  A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
> of Mordorsoft.
>
> Not only surviving... flourishing.

One percent? Only if you listen to lietistics and ignore much of the population
you have for an analysis...

To repeat some things from earlier...

Desktop (from the Microsoft's partner group):

Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows-powered personal computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,.
| Linux 4%, Gartner says.
`----

http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

Server (from the horse's mouth):

|                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

HPC (exhaustive analysis by Top500):

Linux still super in Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| In the June 2008 Top500 list, Linux still lives large with a role in 92% of
| systems (It is the only OS for 85.4%, but when considering all distributions
| (SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and general ‘Linux,’ as well as mixed uses that
| include Linux, I figure the share is more like the 92%).
|                                                    ^^^
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/26/linux-still-super-in-top500/

Embedded (study):

Embedded Linux research report ships

,----[ Quote ]
| EDC noted that some 40 percent of the survey's 500 respondents were targeting
|                     ^^^^^^^^^^
| embedded Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Also in the earlier reports, Andrews observed that the need for RTOS source
| code was "one of the reasons that proprietary RTOSes created in-house for a
| specific system have long been popular, and now it's a primary motivating
| factor in the adoption of Embedded Linux."
|
| The now completed survey results are said to include "expert analysis" from
| Ann Thryft, a 20-year industry veteran. The report includes chapters on
| platforms, processors, tools, languages, security, target devices, mobile
| development, and of course, Linux.

Another forgotten Fact of life:

,----[ Quote ]
| Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
`----

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM today announced that the total number of processors shipped by its
| Partners has exceeded ten billion.
|
| [...]
|
| A Nokia-sponsored project is porting Ubuntu Linux to the ARM architecture.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-ubuntu-on-arm-could-be-rich-seam.html

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)