[News] Ballmer's Pal Kevin Carmony Attacks Linspire Founder

Michael Robertson Sued Over Linspire's Missing Cash

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| [Carmoney [sic]:] "Many disagreed with the MS partnership, but it brought us
| millions in new sources of revenue, all without having any of the negative
| effects on the desktop Linux space that some predicted the MS/Linux deals
| would. I reduced our losses by millions in my first year as CEO, and made
| millions in profits my second year."
| He made millions in profit in the short term, by destroying a GNU/Linux
| company's reputation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to sell out to
| Microsoft. Any GNU/Linux distro which has a significant community could pull
| millions or more by selling out to Microsoft.

Tomorrow GPLv3 is Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Carmony asked a question, will Linux split in two factions? The answer
| is no. Some Linux distros will limp along a while and then die off,
| because they misunderstood what folks want when they choose GNU/Linux
| and FOSS. You can see that already. Red Hat, which refused to sign any
| such deal, is flourishing, for example. It's not about code that "just
| works". Apple offers that already. It's the freedom. And we've proven
| willing to put up with some temporary frustration in order to get it.
| In time, FOSS will win, and all those proprietary codecs and everything
| else will be made available on pleasanter terms, because market share
| does that.

Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will Shuttleworth continue to collaborate with a company which has now
| caved in to a protection racket? Or will he do stick to the principle
| behind the whole FOSS movement and walk away from the deal? We're watching
| and waiting, Mark.

Freespire, Linspire, and Microsoft patents

,----[ Quote ]