Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

High Plains Thumper wrote:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002 was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.

Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view Microsoft mandated software content,
I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.

Somebody just posted one somewhere about att.com doing that (requiring
IE).  I verified it.  Luckily, their "home" and "support" pages
aren't so stupid.

http://www.dwsadmin.com/

[quote] *Internet Explorer Required*

You have been redirected to this page because the application you attempted to access has been designed to work with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

The application will not function properly with any other browser, so requests for exceptions cannot be granted.

If you do not have Internet Explorer, it can be downloaded for free from Microsoft's Web Site at http://www.microsoft.com. [/quote]

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/help_troubleshooting/ic_internet_explorer.php

[quote] *Troubleshooting*

*Internet Explorer required*

IncredibleCharts uses wininet.dll which is distributed with Internet Explorer.

1. Check that you have Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 or later. If not, download the latest version
   2. Configure your Trusted Sites [/quote]

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9115997&intsrc=news_ts_head

or http://tinyurl.com/4xwh5v

[quote]
Microsoft limits new search reward program to IE

Required toolbar 'phones home' some user search data back to Microsoft
By Gregg Keizer

October 1, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today launched a rewards program to entice consumers to its Live Search site, but it requires Internet Explorer and bars users of rival browsers, including Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome.
[/quote]

http://www.kellerkin.com/netscape.htm

[quote] Microsoft Internet Explorer is required to view KellerKin.com. [/quote]

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=15207

[quote] *Other Requirements: IE required for downloading*

Although you can use any browser to surf the web, you'll need to have Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) to install and run Picasa.

Functions in Picasa that call for a browser, such as emailing or blogging photos, will open your default browser. If you're using Firefox, Opera, or another default browser, Picasa may still read some of the settings you have in IE, such as your proxy or connection settings for these functions. [/quote]

http://www.mb.jhu.edu/mediaarchive.asp

[quote] *The Bodian Seminar Media Archive*

9/22/2003     *Peter N. Steinmetz, MD, PhD*

Assistant Professor, Brain Modeling Laboratory, Dept of Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota

*Attentional shift abolishes response selectivity of single*
*neurons in the human hippocampus but not in the amygdala*

To view in Web Browser _Click Here_ (Internet Explorer required) [/quote]

.... and ad nauseum.

I think web-hit stats would be the best measure, but I don't know that we have access to trustworthy stats.

We don't.

Web-hit stats may indicate trends, but they do not give the whole picture. US has a 41% hit presence on W3 Schools. Other locations in the world do not have the infrastructure in place and the resources to have unlimited internet access. It is these other countries that have a higher Linux and BSD Free presence.

Also, the educational sector and business sector in general don't freely browse the internet. For accuracy, those would have to be entered into the equation.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati