[News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest run on a Debian-based flavor of Linux that Ziegler calls "Schlunix"
| (pronounced "schloooonix") -- after company cofounder Rainer Schlund. In
| Europe, 90% prefer Linux, Ziegler said. "There's a profound distrust of
| Microsoft in Germany," where the company is headquartered.

Ubuntu In Popular Culture

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we watched “Berlin am Meer” - not a world-changing, but nice movie
| filmed in Berlin. As in all other modern movies which happen to be shot in
| Berlin, I enjoy the sensation of recognising where the scene happened (”Nice,
| that’s like 5 minutes from here.” or “We’ve been at that spot last weekend.”)
| The movie did not disappoint us in that regard, lots of scenes were shot in
| Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain and Treptow.
| In addition to that, I was pleased to see they used Ubuntu in a short scene.
| (The supposed best friend of the leading character copies files from his
| laptop without him knowing.)

German Pension Fund Moves to Linux on the Mainframe Using Clerity's UniKix

,----[ Quote ]
| Approximately 3.5 million lines of code and 2,500 CICS-COBOL programs,
| serving up to 5,000 simultaneous users, will be moved during this project.
| Since GRVS maintains life-long data for all workers in its system, the
| detailed calculations it performs will need to be replicated on the UniKix
| TPE and Linux on System z partition.

German Home Savings and Loan Association Relies on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions,
| today announced that Vereinsbank Victoria Bauspar AG (VVB), a German private
| home savings and loan association, has implemented SEP sesam running on Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux 5 to maintain its backup and recovery solution for all
| database applications in its two parallel data centers. The high-performance
| solution enhances data transfer rates, speeding the resolution of backups
| while reducing maintenance and administration efforts.

DE: Manual for migrating to Open Source updated

,----[ Quote ]
| The German Ministry of the Interior has published the third edition of
| its 'Migrationsleitfaden', a manual for public administrations  migrating to
| Open Source.

Three German KDE Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| The IT Service Center Berlin has announced the development of a desktop
| system for the public services in Germany's capital (Google Translate to
| English). This is yet another public body making the switch to the Free
| Desktop system

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
| Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
| BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
| story for ODF!

DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred  of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.

Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system

,----[ Quote ]
| The guys from “Berliner Fenster”, a company responsible for the content of
| the television system installed inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700
| displays) were so kind (thank you!) providing us with a spot for our release
| party this Saturday for free. So just on time with the release starting from
| today there are small spots viewable by an audience of about 1.5 million
| people per day according to their web site.

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.

199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
| low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
| This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
| more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.

The German Plan for Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
| Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
| [...]
| And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
| recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
| What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
| Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...

Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
| eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
| recommends ODF for text documents.

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems.

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.

Green Euro MP supports call for better access to open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| European citizens have the right to freely access documents and information
| from the institutions which represent them, and it is about time that the use
| of open source software became more widespread
| Open source software (1) should be more widely available in order to help
| reduce the 'digital divide', according to Dr Caroline Lucas, Green MEP for
| the South East.
| Dr Lucas has added her signature to a written declaration in the European
| Parliament - like an Early Day Motion (EDM) in the House of Commons -
| recognising the growing disparities in access to information and
| communication technologies throughout the European Union, and calling for
| increased use of open source technology.

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure