[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Astroturfing Against Yahoo/Google Proving Workable

Google and Yahoo Agree to Delay Ad Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Google and Yahoo have agreed to a “brief” delay in the planned start of their
| search advertising partnership to give the Justice Department additional time
| to investigate the antitrust implications of the deal, the companies said
| Friday.
|
| “The companies have agreed to a brief delay in implementing this agreement to
| continue our ongoing discussions with the Department of Justice,” Yahoo said
| in a statement. “We have had discussions with regulators and look forward to
| responding to their questions about this agreement.”
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/google-and-yahoo-agree-to-delay-ad-deal/

Google-Yahoo Deal Needs Oversight, Senator Says

,----[ Quote ]
| "Recognizing the nascent and fast-changing nature of this marketplace, we
| encourage the department to continue to monitor the state of competition in
| this industry, whatever the outcome of its current investigation," Kohl wrote
| in his letter. "If, over time, you determine that Google is gaining a
| dominant market position as a result of the Google-Yahoo agreement, then we
| would encourage the Justice Department to intervene to protect competition.
| Even should you conclude at present that this deal is not contrary to
| antitrust law, the department must be sure that this deal never in the future
| crosses the line into an unacceptable, anti-competitive collaboration among
| competitors which will harm consumers and advertisers."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210605609

Recent:

Yahoo joins Google in defending ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here's the bottom line," Decker wrote late last week. "Yahoo will use this
| agreement to help us become a stronger competitor in all aspects of online
| advertising; and Yahoo is not exiting the sponsored search business. We plan
| to remain a strong player in sponsored search."
|
| [...]
|
| Early on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that
| the deal gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic
| that derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just
| plain wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is
| non-exclusive and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and
| when we see fit. The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a
| more typical exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic
| commitments to Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are
| raising."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10053365-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Gets 70% of U.S. Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| But Google's gain led to lower numbers for other search companies. Yahoo Inc.
| received 19.62% of U.S. searches in June, down from 21.31% last year, while
| MSN Search received 5.46%, down from 9.85% in June 2007.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148649/google_gets_70_of_us_searches.html

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business/Microsoft-shifts---its.4306016.jp

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Live Searches Drop Below 1 Billion

,----[ Quote ]
| August U.S. search share data shows ugly declines for Microsoft in 2008.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/advertising_search/live_searches_drop_below_1_billion.html

Icahn takes his seat at Yahoo table

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo's reconstituted board is expected to meet for the first time tomorrow,
| with activist member Carl Icahn committed to renewing the pressure for a deal
| with Microsoft.
|
| Mr Icahn, the billionaire investor, and two allies were elected after Yahoo's
| annual meeting on August 1 in a deal that ended a proxy fight he had led to
| unseat the board.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2d6e4456-883f-11dd-b114-0000779fd18c.html?nclick_check=1

The Secret Microsoft Invasion of Yahoo Continues: MSN GM Headed There Soon?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Dossett, a longtime Microsoft exec whose most current job has been as
| executive producer and general manager of MSN, is leaving the company,
| sources said, and is likely to land at Yahoo soon.
|
| A longtime and experienced mountain climber, Dossett (pictured here) has been
| one of the more senior digital execs at Microsoft.
|
| The reason given for Dossett’s departure from Microsoft (MSFT), announced
| internally this afternoon, was to “pursue other opportunities.”
|
| While the hire is not yet complete, that apparently means that he is likely
| going to rival and onetime Microsoft quarry Yahoo as a senior exec.
`----

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080919/the-secret-microsoft-invasion-of-yahoo-continues-msn-gm-headed-to-yahoo/

Google Blames Microsoft for Yahoo! Deal Controversy

,----[ Quote ]
| Schmidt thinks that rival Microsoft is largely to blame for the amount of
| controversy the deal has attracted. "I am quite sure that Microsoft is
| helping everyone get upset about things," he said.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/09/18/google-blames-microsoft-for-yahoo-deal-controversy

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]
| Only if they're planting in AstroTurf
|
| [...]
|
| How do you know the organization, and the op-ed, weren't created by LawMedia
| Group at the behest of some well-funded clients? If they did their jobs
| right, you don't know.
|
| Some of them have left digital fingerprints here and there, though, says
| Declan McCullagh, in a blockbuster of a report exposing the intellectual
| whoredom offered for various important issues. Shortly after Microsoft hired
| LawMedia, for example, legislators, national agencies, and news outlets
| received pointed complaints from coalitions of farmers, rural voters, and
| geeky Latinos about how Google's advertising deal with Yahoo would wreck
| everything.
|
| [...]
|
| Don't call them a PR firm or a lobbying firm though, Law Media – which has a
| ton of lawyers working for them too—is a "public affairs firm" specializing
| in producing "remarkable coalitions" for anything one might need a coalition
| for.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/08/14/corn-farmers-against-google

Google/Yahoo web ad deal on track despite anti-trust scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Google says its web advertising deal with Yahoo is on schedule and will not
| be derailed by US anti-trust scrutiny.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/08/29/232070/googleyahoo-web-ad-deal-on-track-despite-anti-trust.htm

Icahn and Microsoft to oust Yahoo board

,----[ Quote ]
| CORPORATE RAIDER Carl Icahn and convicted monopolist Microsoft have asked
| Yahoo shareholders to vote out Yahoo's board and install Icahn's proposed
| slate of replacements.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/07/icahn-microsoft-team-oust-yahoo

Microsoft cops to talking with Icahn on Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Dispensing with its previous above-the-fray posture, Microsoft has
| admitted -conspiring with- talking to activist Yahoo shareholder Carl Icahn,
| who is trying to oust the Internet company's board and Chief Executive Jerry
| Yang for failing to sell out to the software giant.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/microsoft-talki.html

Yahoo: Icahn “Manipulates The Facts”

,----[ Quote ]