[News] DRM Hater Changes Jobs

DRM-hating eMusic chief quits

,----[ Quote ]
| Pakman championed DRM-free music, viewing the measures as anti-consumer. This
| has been a phenomenon, along with his commitment to editorial investment - a
| stark contrast to Apple's iTunes music store which one reader after launch
| called "an airport kiosk without the cigarettes and chewing gum." Pakman grew
| the eMusic subscriber base from 10,000 to 400,000 in his four years as boss,
| turning it into the second largest music retailer.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/03/emusic_pakman_quits/

His work is done. Music  DRM is pretty much done, with the exception
being/including Apple and Microsoft.

Recent:

And Walmart Makes Three: Another Music Service Plans to Shut Down DRM Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Following in the footsteps of MSN Music and  Yahoo! Music, Walmart has
| notified customers that it will be shutting off its DRM servers in less than
| two weeks. Walmart's been selling DRM-free music since February, but anyone
| who bought music before that date will not be able to transfer those songs
| to “unauthorized computers,” or access the songs after changing operating
| systems. Walmart, like MSN and Yahoo!, advises customers to back up their
| music to a CD if they want to be able to access it in the future. So, Walmart
| customers get to invest more time, labor and money in order to continue to
| enjoy the music for which they have already paid.
|
| [...]
|
| We hate to sound like, um, a broken record, but this is yet another
| demonstration that DRM is bad business. It's bad for the consumers who don't
| actually own the music they pay for; it's bad for the rightsholders who lose
| out when legal copies of their songs are worth less than illegally obtained
| copies; and it's bad for the companies that must choose between maintaining a
| defective technology or violating the trust of their customers.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/09/and-walmart-makes-three-another-music-service-plan

So how do you REALLY feel about DRM? [poll]

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/so-how-do-you-really-feel-about-drm

7digital goes completely DRM free

,----[ Quote ]
| ONLINE MUSIC RETAILER 7digital.com has gone completely DRM free following a
| deal with Sony BMG which allows the sale of its catalogue in blissfully open
| MP3 format.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/16/7digital-goes-completely-drm

Rhapsody Opens Fire Against ITunes With DRM-free MP3s

,----[ Quote ]
| Music will come from most of the major record labels, which have increasingly
| moved to offer tracks without DRM in order to boost the attractiveness of
| buying music online.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147729/rhapsody_opens_fire_against_itunes_with_drmfree_mp3s.html
http://tinyurl.com/56r4rn

Torvalds pleased that DRM music is dying

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds, coordinator of the Linux kernel, is pleased that music
| publishers have started selling more DRM-free music -- last year he said the
| technology was a lot of "hot air".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Torvalds-pleased-that-DRM-music-is-dying/0,130061733,339285934,00.htm?feed=rss

Adobe, You Piece Of Shit!

,----[ Quote ]
| How was I able to read the book with Adobe Digital Reader version 1.0, but
| not with 1.5? I could not "authorize" my computer to read the book I paid
| for, so Adobe simply stole from me!
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/05/17/20/29/23-adobe-you-piece-of-shit-

DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/drm_is_helping_spore_make_history_as_the_most_pirated_game_ever.php

`----