[News] Man Behind OSD Embarked on Crusade Against Intellectual Monopolies

Perens new crusade is patent law

,----[ Quote ]
| Perens said in a recent interview that the current system makes it too easy
| for patent trolls to sue, even when their patents may be bogus.
|
|     We need to restore justice to the patent system, and we also need to take
|     a good look at the motivation for software patents, which many economists
|     and others feel do more to hurt innovation than to promote it.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2952

Recent:

Video: Bruce Perens über Open-Source-Lizenzen

http://www.linux-magazin.de/news/video_bruce_perens_ueber_open_source_lizenzen

Related:

MS ‘Software Choice’ scheme a clever fraud

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's new "Software Choice" campaign is all for your right to choose...
| as long as you choose Microsoft. It's too bad that Intel and the U.S.
| Government couldn't see through the rhetoric.
|
| Microsoft is worried about Peruvian Congressman Edgar Villanueva's proposal
| for his nation's government agencies to standardize on Free Software for
| their own internal use. But Villanueva makes an important point: everybody
| has to deal with the government. If a government uses proprietary software,
| its citizens will probably have to use the same software to communicate with
| it. A government web site that only supports Internet Explorer would lock
| citizens into that Microsoft product. In contrast, a government site using
| open standards and avoiding patented software would allow citizens to choose
| between many different kinds of software to access the site.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/08/09/ms_software_choice_scheme/

Microsoft: We were naivé about standards. No, really!

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft was also present at IETF meetings around that time, and was
| enthusiasticaly gaming the system. I remember one Microsoft attorney with
| three assistants who were each feeding "audience" questions at the attorney's
| direction.
|
| Organizations like Sun, which ran a large standards department, were
| tremendously concerned with Microsoft's attempts to game the system at the
| time.
|
| Microsoft is no newcomer to the standards business. Protests otherwise on
| their behalf are insincere.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/23/44269

Sign Bruce's petition:

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, running for the OSI board is going to be painful. Some oppose
| my action against vendor excesses like the Novell-Microsoft agreement. And
| there's bad blood from the past - some of it my fault. I'm sure this campaign
| will inspire ad-hominem material about me on the net, etc. That's another
| reason that I'll need your support.
`----

http://techp.org/p/7

Perens: 'Badgeware' threat to open source's next decade

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/11/open_source_at_ten/