[News] OpenOffice.org Benchmarks, UK National Archives Says "No" to OOXML

The Fastest OpenOffice.org Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org comes in several editions produced by different groups. Each
| edition has its own features, performance improvements, bug fixes, and new
| bugs. Go-oo in particular boasts performance as a feature with its the
| slogan, "Better, Faster, Freer," but is there truth in advertising? Let's pit
| four OpenOffice.org editions against each other in a scientific speed
| smackdown.
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/09/fastest-openofficeorg-edition-benchmark.html

A Victory (of Sorts) for e-Petitions

,----[ Quote ]
| PDF is an international standard (ISO 32000-1: 2008) and is supported by all
| major browsers, either natively or via freely available plug-ins. The
| National Archives does not currently plan to convert any records to Microsoft
| Office Open XML format.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/09/victory-of-sorts-for-e-petitions.html

Recent:

Norway says yes to Open Standards in IT

,----[ Quote ]
| So, now two European (I know Norway is not truly part of the EEC but, like
| Switzerland, it is in Europe) countries have mandated Open standards for
| electronic documentation. I wonder how stupid the UK’s National Archive feel
| now? Or perhaps, because their management are Microsoft puppets, they didn’t
| really have a say in the first place…
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2007/12/20/norway-says-yes-to-open-standards-in-it/

Related:

British Library calls for digital copyright action

,----[ Quote ]
| In a manifesto released on Monday at the Labor Party Conference
| in Manchester, the United Kingdom's national library warned that the
| country's traditional copyright law needs to be extended to fully
| recognize digital content.
|
| "Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize
| the changing technological environment, the law becomes an ass,"
| Lynne Brindley, chief executive of the British Library, told ZDNet
| UK.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html

Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and the British Library have digitised two of Leonardo da
| Vincis' notebooks.
|
| [...]
|
| The British Library has created an updated version of its application
| called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
| its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
| this works better using Vista.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/

Publish And Perish

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
| Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
| "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
| look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
| If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
| case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
| Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
|
| "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
| become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
| Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
| way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
| "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
| photos," Rose said.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

Microsoft’s 4th of July Trans-Atlantic assault on document standards

,----[ Quote ]
| With OOXML and XPS, Microsoft has chosen to not work with existing standards,
| but to create new ones, as they have in their recent announcement on Web3S
| instead of working with the rest of the industry on the Atom Publishing
| Protocol. In the case of OOXML, this is a logical move on Microsoft’s part,
| since it is an evolution of Microsoft’s XML strategy started with the
| Microsoft Office 2003 version and ODF will be a technology diversion from
| that strategy. With Microsoft controlling 90% of the office productivity
| tools market and OOXML being the default file format for Microsoft Office
| 2007, OOXML is likely to be widely-used.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Newton/?p=16

Microsoft criticized for Open XML petition

,----[ Quote ]
| The petition is an attempt to make it appear that Open XML
| has "pseudo-grassroots" support, argues Mark Taylor, the
| founder of the Open Source Consortium.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6173625.html

Microsoft calls on UK public to raise the Office standard

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/04/microsoft_office_standards_petition/