[News] DRM Suffers Another Major Death: Wal-Mart

And Walmart Makes Three: Another Music Service Plans to Shut Down DRM Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Following in the footsteps of MSN Music and  Yahoo! Music, Walmart has
| notified customers that it will be shutting off its DRM servers in less than
| two weeks. Walmart's been selling DRM-free music since February, but anyone
| who bought music before that date will not be able to transfer those songs
| to “unauthorized computers,” or access the songs after changing operating
| systems. Walmart, like MSN and Yahoo!, advises customers to back up their
| music to a CD if they want to be able to access it in the future. So, Walmart
| customers get to invest more time, labor and money in order to continue to
| enjoy the music for which they have already paid.
|
| [...]
|
| We hate to sound like, um, a broken record, but this is yet another
| demonstration that DRM is bad business. It's bad for the consumers who don't
| actually own the music they pay for; it's bad for the rightsholders who lose
| out when legal copies of their songs are worth less than illegally obtained
| copies; and it's bad for the companies that must choose between maintaining a
| defective technology or violating the trust of their customers.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/09/and-walmart-makes-three-another-music-service-plan

So how do you REALLY feel about DRM? [poll]

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/so-how-do-you-really-feel-about-drm

Escape route from DRM:

Finally, Nero will let you make your PC into a real TiVo

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the standard DVR, however, content navigation is not limited to remote
| control, and unique mouse and keyboard commands have been added. Also, the
| software has the ability to export recorded media to portable devices
| supporting .tivo, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (H.263 + H.264), AVI, and WMV files, or
| burn-to-DVD.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Finally_Nero_will_let_you_make_your_PC_into_a_real_TiVo/1222699995

Recent:

Flash Finally Restored in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, I lost all my songs in the great crash and DRM prevents me
| from transferring the songs back on to my computer from the Ipod.
| Fortunately, Pandora is not only a solution to my problem but is also an
| improvement.
`----

http://theoryoforangitivity.blogspot.com/2008/02/flash-finally-restored-in-linux.html

Why Android could hurt Itunes

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon MP3 launched a year ago with an online music catalogue listing more
| than two million songs from more than 180,000 artists and 20,000 labels,
| including EMI Music and Universal.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/24/why-android-hurt-itunes

Related:

A Linux User's Perspective on the ITunes Store (and DRM in General)

,----[ Quote ]
| What if tomorrow you went to Best Buy or Walmart or Sam Goody and purchased a
| CD? What if, before you left the store, the salesman told you that although
| the CD was in all other respects a standard CD, that you could only play it
| if you owned a Pioneer or Sony stereo? Would that make any sense? Would it
| make you a bit hesitant about buying music from that store again?
|
| Well, if you purchase music or videos from the iTunes Store,
|
| [...]
|
| With content from the iTunes Store, however, users may find themselves a bit
| stuck if they ever want to make the switch to a more open computing platform,
| such as Linux. Because none of the DRM-restricted content from the iTunes
| Store will play on Linux. And it's all because that's how Apple wants it, to
| be honest, and not because of any technical limitation.
`----

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/324936/a_linux_users_perspective_on_the_itunes.html

Apple's latest trick to enforce digital rights

`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/09/10131156.html