[News] United States Government Depends on, Demands Free Software

Can open source survive Congress?

,----[ Quote ]
| If the House's proposed 2009 Defense Department budget is any indication,
| Congress may want to see more open-source software (OSS) in defense systems.
|
| The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 (H.R. 5658)
| includes language that calls for the services to consider open source
| software when procuring manned or unmanned aerial vehicles.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/blogs/tech/47100.html

"To me, Bill is the great white shark that looks at minnows with no more
consciousness than we look at a plate of food. The shark has no soul. The
shark knows no boundaries. All it has is an appetite. When the shark gets
hungry, it thinks “I’m hungry”, so it eats."

                                --Mitch Kertzman, former CEO of Sybase

Recent:

Navy to focus only on open systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "The days of proprietary technology must come to an end," [Vice Admiral Mark
| Edwards, deputy chief of naval operations for communications] said. "We will
| no longer accept systems that couple hardware, software and data."
`----

http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Related:

Lockheed Martin Purchased Over $1 Million of Concurrent's RedHawk Real-Time
Linux for U.S. Navy Next Generation Aegis Weapon System

,----[ Quote ]
| Concurrent's NightStar for RedHawk Linux is a powerful, integrated tool set
| for developing time-critical applications. NightStar tools run with minimal
| intrusion,
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070926005090&newsLang=en

Concurrent to Supply Real-Time Linux Solution to the U.S. Navy for Missile
Simulator Development

,----[ Quote ]
| The simulator will be used to determine the effectiveness of Navy and Marine
| Corps aircraft countermeasure systems that protect the aircraft from hostile
| missiles.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9914.html

Navy CIO 'recognizes the importance of OSS to the warfighter'

,----[ Quote ]
| John Weathersby, executive director of the Open Source Software
| Institute, told Linux.com today that, effective immediately, the
| Department of the Navy has adopted a new policy which requires that
| open source software must be considered in every software
| acquisition the Navy makes.

Raytheon Sails Into Battle With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Among its major capabilities, TSCEI 4.0 supports IBM blade server
| processors running the Red Hat Linux operating system. It is the first of
| four planned increments supporting DDG 1000 Release 4 software.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Linux/Raytheon_Sails_Into_Battle_With_Linux

Linux helps Navy keep high-tech weapon system updated

,----[ Quote ]
| General-purpose computing systems (in other words: personal computers
| and workstations) could be useful within a variety of control systems
| as human machine interface (HMI) platforms, network interface systems
| and even host computers, but many engineers hesitate to incorporate
| them because of the many stability and security issues surrounding the
| dominant PC operating system, Microsoft Windows XP. Linux provides an
| open-source alternative that avoids these Microsoft-related issues. As
| more engineers become acquainted with Linux, and Linux vendors make
| their implementations easier to use, PCs running Linux OS have begun
| to appear in many mission-critical applications.
|
| For example, Real-Time Innovations (RTI) and Concurrent Computer Corp.
| have partnered to provide RTI's standards-based real-time data
| distribution middleware with Concurrent's RedHawk Linux in support of
| the U.S. Navy's Aegis Open Architecture program.
|
| [...]
|
| Concurrent's RedHawk Linux provides fast response to external events,
| optimized interprocess communication, and high I/O throughput needed for
| time-critical applications. The operating system has gained acceptance as
| a leading real-time Linux platform for high-performance applications,
| guaranteeing response on a dedicated processor to an external event in
| less than 30 microseconds.
`----

http://www.manufacturing.net/ctl/article/CA6368771.html

US Navy approves eZ Publish for DASN

,----[ Quote ]
| The ATI team and the DASN (ACQ) Web Site Director Page Glennie decided that,
| given the funding constraints, an Open Source solution should be
| investigated. Open Source software is increasingly becoming a more popular
| alternative within industry, commercial, and educational sectors. However,
| within the Navy, security vulnerabilities are always a concern. Since the
| information on the web site is unclassified and available to the general
| public, the ATI team considered the associated security risks minimal. They
| determined that with selection of the right Open Source product and with
| proper security and information assurance protections in place it could be a
| successful implementation for DASN (ACQ). In the Open Source evaluation, ATI
| developed a list of twenty-eight Open Source CMS products.
`----

http://www.pr-inside.com/us-navy-approves-ez-publish-for-r438000.htm

Open-Source Security: Trust, But Verify

,----[ Quote ]
| What do those customers have to say about Coverity's findings? As a rule,
| about as much as Coverity has to say about them. With very few exceptions,
| you'll have to trust them when they tell you their proprietary software is
| really, really secure -- and that if any bugs somehow show up in their code,
| they get squashed quicker than you can say "regression error."
|
| Or, if you're Microsoft, they get squashed every Tuesday. Maybe.
|
| All kidding aside, it's cynical -- and almost certainly wrong -- to claim
| that most vendors see the "black box" approach to software security as just
| another product-marketing tactic. Alerting every black-hat on the planet to
| an unpatched security flaw poses serious risks both to the vendor and
| especially to its customers. On the other hand, it is also true that some
| flaws are paper tigers that have zero chance of spawning real-world exploits.
| In such cases, a company may have better things to do with its
| software-development resources -- unless, of course, a competitor gets wind
| of the bug and turns it into a handy PR bludgeon.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/02/opensource_secu.html

US Navy acquisitions site uses open source CMS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/120870