[News] Linux and X Report; X.Org 7.4 is Out

Kernel-Log: New stable and developer kernel, Mesa 7.1 and X-Server 1.5
released.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux stable series managers have released kernel versions 2.6.25.17,
| 2.6.26.4 and 2.6.26.5, bringing numerous fixes and improvements from their
| preceding versions in the 2.6.25 and 2.6.26 series. 2.6.26.5 was released to
| fix a problem only introduced in 2.6.26.4. Whether the new versions fix any
| security problems was not disclosed, but the releases did carry the note "Any
| users of the 2.6.25/2.6.26 kernel series should upgrade to this version.",
| addressing those who compile their own kernel, rather than those who receive
| their kernel from their Linux distributor.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-New-stable-and-developer-kernel-Mesa-7-1-and-X-Server-1-5-released--/news/111495

X.Org 7.4 To Be Released Today

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been one year and four days since X.Org 7.3 was released and a number
| of months since X.Org 7.4 was supposed to be released, but today X.Org 7.4 is
| scheduled to finally make it out the door! This release is shipping quite
| late and with a slimmed down set of features, but in this article we have
| more details on what this release holds in store for the Linux desktop
| community and why it may be a short-lived release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_74_released&num=1

Recent:

ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.

,----[ Quote ]
| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
| currently available.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080902113646_ATI_to_Enable_High_Definition_Video_Playback_on_Linux_Based_Computers.html

Closing X Developer Summit 2008 Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from the short X Server 1.6 release plans and clarifying UXA+EXA, there
| are a few other notes to share from this afternoon's X.Org/Intel talk.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcwNQ

Intel Calls For X Server 1.6 This Year

,----[ Quote ]