[News] AT&T and TiVo Part of the Big Patent Problem

Life, Liberty And The Pursuit Of More Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's interesting that AT&T is bragging about its pursuit of "more patents"
| rather than, say, more R&D spending or more innovation. AT&T isn't exactly
| known for its record of high-tech innovation, so it's a little surprising to
| see it hold itself out as a poster child for the patent system—particularly
| when we remember that AT&T and other telco incumbents have used the patent
| system to extort tens of millions of dollars from companies like Vonage that
| are actually innovating.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080901/1010232136.shtml

And then there's AT&T's attitude: "Look! We love excessive patents!! Hey, don't
look!!!! And why take that photograph?! We'll sue you!!" (see below)

DirecTV Strikes Deal to Offer TiVo Recorder

,----[ Quote ]
| Another change is that TiVo won a key lawsuit against Dish Networks. In that
| lawsuit, a federal court ruled that Dish’s recording devices infringe TiVo
| software patents. In fact, a hearing begins Thursday in federal district
| court in the Eastern District of Texas on how the penalties against Dish will
| be enforced.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/directtv-strikes-deal-to-offer-tivo-recorder/

Recent:

AT&T patent perpetrator tries to censor a blogger about their "pursuit of more
patents"

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T patent perpetrator tries to censor a blogger about their "pursuit of
| more patents". The blogger has published a picture of an advertisement poster
| paid by "AT&T Intellectual Property" sponsoring the Democratic National
| Convention in Denver last week.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-86401/at-t-patent-perpetrator-tries-to-censor-a-blogger-about-their-pursuit-of-more-patents

AT&T Makes the Case for Patent Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| Think the current patent process is corrupt, too open to abusive
| patent-seeking and unduly influenced by corrupt rent-seeking special
| interests? Well, AT&T is here to disabuse you of that notion...
`----

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/09/att_makes_the_case_for_patent_reform.php

Related:

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site.
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759184-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

AT&T slams Google over open-access wireless proposal

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T has asked Capitol Hill not to enable an open nationwide wireless
| spectrum, claiming that Google's lobbying of such a network is a bid by the
| search giant to obtain broadband airwaves at bargain-basement prices.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=B592E3C6-E5F3-4ECA-93C1-3A5A3392024A

AT&T IPTV now coming to your PC

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T announced Thursday that its U-verse Internet Protocol television
| service will now allow subscribers to watch live programming on their PCs.
|
| [...]
|
| Access to the new OnTheGo service is limited to computers running the
| Windows XP operating system with Microsoft's Internet Explorer or
| Mozilla's Firefox browser.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6169627.html

AT&T Resumes Rollout for Cable TV

,----[ Quote ]
| But because the software, provided largely by Microsoft Corp., has never
| been deployed on such a large scale, assorted glitches have forced AT&T to
| repeatedly delay and scale back the service rollout even though the
| required network upgrade remains on pace.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070228/at_t_tv.html?.v=2

Microsoft blamed for AT&T TV hiccups

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a spotty history on the gogglebox. In 1997 it
| spent about $425m to purchase WebTV Networks but failed to
| make the much-hyped phenomenon a success.

How AT&T chewed up, and spat out Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with Business Week in October 2005, Whitacre said
| he thought taking over BellSouth would be rejected by the FCC.
| He also made another memorable comment that began the process
| which culminated in the FCC's approval in December.
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/10/whitacre_wins_big/

Customers can sue AT&T, after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
| is "unconscionable".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20/court_slames_att_wireless_contract_clause/

IPhone Unlock Delayed After AT&T's 'Friendly Advice'

,----[ Quote ]
| Fear of litigation has led to an indefinite delay in the planned Saturday
| release of software to unlock Apple Inc.'s iPhone.
|
| John McLaughlin, founder of Uniquephones, based in Belfast, Northern Ireland,
| said Saturday that he received a phone call about 3 a.m. Saturday local time
| from a man claiming to be from O'Melveny & Myers LLP, an international law
| firm, calling on behalf of AT&T. The firm has worked with Apple in the past.
|
| The man informed McLaughlin that if he posted the unlock code, he could be
| sued for copyright infringement and for dissemination of Apple's intellectual
| property (IP).
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070825/tc_pcworld/136410

iPhone Freed From AT&T, Twice

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will be selling licenses to the hack, minimum quantity 500, at a
| price not yet announced. These hacks are much bigger news for those outside
| America. Expect to see an industry spring up to meet European (and Asian?)
| demand for freed iPhones.
`----

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/24/1858252&from=rss

AT&T Welcomes Programmers for All Phones Except the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m still trying to understand why Apple would go to such extremes to keep
| people from writing programs that run on the iPhone.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/att-welcomes-programmers-for-all-phones-except-the-iphone/

AT&T takes another step towards filtered network with investment in Vobile

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T announced earlier this year that was planning to introduce content
| filtering of some sort for all video passing across its network. Exactly what
| AT&T was thinking remained unclear: would the company truly attempt to
| reassemble the fragments of peer-to-peer transmissions, then extract video
| from all sorts of different codecs, then attempt to match it-in real time-to
| some database of copyrighted works? Would such a thing even be possible?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071114-att-takes-another-step-towards-filtered-network-with-investment-in-vobile.html
http://tinyurl.com/3a998z

ey, AT&T, What's the Value of a Closed Network Again?

,----[ Quote ]
| Closed networks, its proponents maintain, offer a trade-off. Individuals or
| outside developers can't make any changes or improvements to it. But since
| the network and its applications are controlled at a single source,
| individuals are supposed to get an easier experience in which they don't have
| to think about the network, just what they're doing on it. Trust the network.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/11/hey_att_whats_t.html

When Networks Collide: AT&T suddenly doesn't like Apple so much.

,----[ Quote ]
| What I believe is troubling the relationship between AT&T and Apple is the
| upcoming auction for 700-MHz wireless spectrum and AT&T's discovery that --
| as I have predicted for weeks -- Apple will be joining Google in bidding.
| AT&T thought its five-year "exclusive" iPhone agreement with Apple would have
| precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson
| understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they
| really love him, so AT&T probably should have expected this kind of corporate
| body blow.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20071129_003521.html

AT&T Fires Back at Verizon in the Open Source War

,----[ Quote ]
| Nevertheless, open source advocates have something to be pleased about—
| namely, that the big wireless companies are starting to take this issue
| seriously.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/comsol/articles/16031-att-fires-back-verizon-the-open-source-war.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2ql7zb

How to Jump on the Open Access Bandwagon By Doing Absolutely Nothing

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this morning, the interweb was aflutter with various reports that
| AT&T had, in the words of a USA Today article, "flung open its network" to
| any and all devices. Problem was, this revelation was based solely on the
| aforementioned article, and the assumption many had (and still seem to have)
| was that AT&T had in fact changed its network policy in some way. As many
| have noticed, nothing in fact has changed, other than the fact that AT&T got
| a healthy dose of positive press out of the misrepresentation.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/12/how-to-jump-on.html

Should AT&T police the Internet?

,----[ Quote ]
| A decade after the government said that AT&T and other service providers
| don't have to police their networks for pirated content, the
| telecommunications giant is voluntarily looking for ways to play traffic cop.
`----

http://www.news.com/Should-ATT-police-the-Internet/2100-1034_3-6226523.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

AT&T and Other I.S.P.'s May Be Getting Ready to Filter

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/att-and-other-isps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/index.html