[News] Ogg Company Receives More Backing

OLPC, Daily Motion Partner on Open Source Video Format for Kids

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Foundation, the group working to create
| computers that can be sold for $100 and given to children in developing
| countries, has partnered with popular French video company Daily Motion to
| advance the Open Source video format Ogg, an alternative to Adobe's Flash.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/olpc_daily_motion_partner_on_o.php

Recent:

Firefox to Support Open Video Format in Next Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Blizzard reports from this week’s Mozilla Summit: Firefox will natively
| support the Ogg Theora video format!
`----

http://internet.boredblogs.net/?p=2363

two cool things: ogg support in mozilla and canvas for IE

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492

Theora Video Backend for Firefox Landed

,----[ Quote ]
| It was announced at the Firefix Plus summit today that Firefox will include
| native Theora and Vorbis support for the HTML 5 media elements. So <video>
| and <audio> will support those codecs built into Firefox itself. Chris
| Blizzard posted about this earlier.
`----

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2008/07/theora-video-backend-for-firefox-landed.html

The Open Web: A New Old Meme

,----[ Quote ]
| Against that background, it will be interesting to see how this latest
| instantiation of the Open Web meme pans out. Certainly, if it helps genuinely
| useful new open specifications to be formulated as successfully as the Apache
| Software Foundation has managed to nurture really handy new open source
| projects, we will all have much to be grateful for.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1090&blogid=14

Packing It In: The Evolution of Online Video and Audio Tech, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| As Internet users increasingly discover the wonders of downloading audio and
| video files, they probably don't think much about how those files are
| prepared for transmission. Compression formats can be a contentious issue --
| vendors sometimes use them to lock users into their format -- and the open
| source world is working to even the field.
|
| [...]
|
| A host of incremental improvements and new features comprise what today is
| considered "state of the art" in audio compression codecs and technology,
| according to Shy Keidar and Meni Berman, members of the team behind Musepack,
| an open source audio codec and supporting technology that according to the
| two sources is the second-most widely used non-proprietary, general purpose
| and open source "lossy" audio format after Ogg Vorbis.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/web20/63600.html

Summer of Code: Ogg Theora Port

,----[ Quote ]
| Porting open, patent free codecs to our devices has always been of great
| interest to neuros and many of our users. As some of you Neuros old timers
| may recall, we were the first to port the Ogg Vorbis audio codec to a
| portable HDD audio player. Now it's time, hopefully, to do the same with the
| Ogg Theora video codec.
`----

http://open.neurostechnology.com/content/summer-code-ogg-theora-port

Sun Tackles Video Codec

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking to boost the Web, Sun is working on a royalty-free and open video
| codec and media system, company officials said Thursday afternoon.
|
| [...]
|
| Currently, proprietary solutions are relied on, such as Adobe's Flash or
| royalty-bearing specifications like H.264, Glidden said.
|
| OMS is a recent project. Asked about the availability of OMS technologies,
| Glidden said, "Stay tuned. I have no announcements on any commercial
| implementations or time frame."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144494/sun_tackles_video_codec.html

Related:

Worlds first high performance Dirac video codec implementation available

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10452.html