[News] 64 Petabyte Files in Linux; Linux in H-P Storage

Tux3 Acting Like A Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Daniel Phillips noted that his new Tux3 versioning filesystem is now
| operating like a filesystem, "the last burst of checkins has brought Tux3 to
| the point where it undeniably acts like a filesystem: one can write files, go
| away, come back later and read those files by name. We can see some of the
| hoped for attractiveness starting to emerge: Tux3 clearly does scale from the
| very small to the very big at the same time. We have our Exabyte file with 4K
| blocksize and we can also create 64 Petabyte files using 256 byte blocks." He
| went on to discuss some of the remaining features yet to be implemented,
| including atomic commits, versioning, coalesce on delete, a version of the
| filesystem written in the kernel, extents, locking, and extended attributes.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Tux3_Acting_Like_A_Filesystem

HP Aims to Take the Sting Out of Virtualized Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has bundled its 4400 Scalable NAS File Services with its HP StorageWorks
| 44000 Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA44000), file servers, management software
| and support for both Windows and Linux to create this so-called shared data
| architecture.

H-P recently released another Linux filesystem under the terms of the GPL.

Recent:

Tux3 Versioning Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| In his announcement email, Daniel noted that implementation work is
| underway, "much of the work consists of cutting and pasting bits of code I
| have developed over the years, for example, bits of HTree and ddsnap. The
| immediate goal is to produce a working prototype that cuts a lot of corners,
| for example block pointers instead of extents, allocation bitmap instead of
| free extent tree, linear search instead of indexed, and no atomic commit at
| all. Just enough to prove out the versioning algorithms and develop new user
| interfaces for version control."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/16428

UBI File System

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here is a new flash file system developed by Nokia engineers with help from
| the University of Szeged. The new file-system is called UBIFS, which stands
| for UBI file system. UBI is the wear-leveling/ bad-block handling/volume
| management layer which is already in mainline (see drivers/mtd/ubi)," began
| Artem Bityutskiy. He explained that UBIFS is stable and "very close to being
| production ready", aiming to offer improved performance and scalability
| compared to JFFS2 by implementing write-back caching, and storing a
| file-system index rather than rebuilding it each time the media is mounted.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/UBI_File_System

Comparing UBIFS And LogFS

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the recent announcement that UBIFS is nearly production ready, it
| was asked how UBIFS compares to LogFS. LogFS author Jörn Engel
| suggested, "both share similar design goals. Biggest difference is that ubifs
| works on top of ubi and depends on ubi support, while logfs works on plain
| mtd (or block devices) and does everything itself. Code size difference is
| huge. Ubi weighs some 11kloc, ubifs some 30, logfs some 8."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Comparing_UBIFS_And_LogFS

Btrfs v0.14 Released

,----[ Quote ]