[News] Review of the GNU/Linux-powered DellInspiron Mini 9

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Like the Sylvania g Netbook Meso, the Inspiron Mini 9’s speakers are below
| the screen on the bottom bezel. They were able to pump out Coldplay’s Life In
| Technicolor at a surprising volume, and lacked the typical tinniness of other
| small notebooks.

Dell mini-notebook offers Linux for a premium

,----[ Quote ]
| Round Rock (TX) – Dell today announced its first mini-notebook that squarely
| aims for a market that has been created by products such as the OLPC or Asus'
| EeePC. It comes in a stylish package with an 8.9” screen and Windows and
| Linux options. But while Dell has decides to join its rivals on the
| mini-notebook train, it found that calling this device a “netbook” would not
| be a good idea.

Dell bets on a small laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Inspiron Mini 9 will have a starting price of $349 for a Linux version,
| and will be available in the U.S., Japan, and some European countries.

Dell outs Mini 9: Ubuntu Linux netbook for $349

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today is revealing the full details of the Inspiron Mini 9, its first
| netbook. The 8.9-inch portable once rumored as the Inspiron 910 shares a
| similar design to larger Inspirons but, apart from the smaller screen, uses a
| 1.6GHz Intel Atom chip and Ubuntu Linux to significantly shrink its size
| without significantly affecting its responsiveness or its feature set.

Dell's Ubuntu-powered mini-laptop arrives tomorrow

Dell’s Mini Inspiron 910 Full Specs: Ubuntu Linux or Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we saw Dell launch some E-series business laptops, but the Dell
| Mini Inspiron was nowhere in sight. Today we get to see Dell’s first ever
| netbook in images, specs and also a potential release date.

Leaked: Dell Inspiron 910 (Mini Note) Specs and Release Date

,----[ Quote ]
| The system will go on sale in just a few days—August 22nd our source says—but
| we still don't know whether or not that $299 starting price is just a myth.

Inside Dell's 'BlackTop' laptop Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell’s new laptops sideline Windows with a fast-boot Linux OS and ARM
| processor to check email, browse the Web and even sync with Exchange.

The Next Linux You Use Could Be Virtual

,----[ Quote ]
| Major players in the laptop computer market go virtual with Linux. HP,
| Lenovo, and now Dell offer laptops that have a Linux Mode.

Sun xVM VirtualBox is now available

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Inc., has announced new multi-year original equipment
| manufacturer (OEM) agreements with Avanquest Software, Q-layer and Zenith
| InfoTech Ltd. to expand the global reach of Sun xVM VirtualBox.

Dell introduces ten new laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
| the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
| Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
| the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.

Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

,----[ Quote ]
| If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
| spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
| into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
| fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
| snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
| because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
| to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
| Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
| Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
| if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).

Dell’s comeback machine

,----[ Quote ]