[News] A Story of GNU/Linux in San Francisco Schools

What They're Using: Christian Einfeldt, Producer, the Digital Tipping Point

,----[ Quote ]
| I have six basic different uses for free, open-source software: 1) my law
| office practice; 2) managing and editing video for the Digital Tipping Point
| Project; 3) running a 25-seat Edubuntu lab at a public middle school as a
| volunteer in San Francisco; 4) placing ACCRC.org Linux computers in
| classrooms; 5) giving out ACCRC.org Ubuntu computers to friends, neighbors
| and the children who attend that school; and 6) supporting San Francisco's
| Tech Connect program by demonstrating Linux boxes at events for nonprofits
| and low-income individuals.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/what-theyre-using-christian-einfeldt-producer-digital-tipping-point

Related:

SF group helps bridge digital divide with free tech support

,----[ Quote ]
| In San Francisco's Tenderloin district, amid liquor stores and boarded-up
| buildings, a partnership of nonprofits earlier this month sponsored the
| first "Tenderloin Tech Day." The half-day workshop was open to anyone in the
| low-income neighborhood with a tech problem.
`----

http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/442

Open source tree tracker debuts in San Francisco

,----[ Quote ]
| Crocker says that the new urban forest application is open source. "Any
| city that wants to manage its urban forest can download it and load it
| up," he says. "It's just a matter of managing the data. If you
| understand databases, all you have to do is make sure the mapping
| fields are consistent. The cool thing is that as this thing rolls
| out, more cities will start to use it and we're going to see that
| great feedback. FUF and BUF will start seeing bug fixes and code
| improvements."
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/08/1725222&from=rss

Dell Refunds OS Cost For Those Adopting Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=4990