[News] Adobe and Vivox 'Fake' Open Source

On stupid mascots and closed source browser plugins

,----[ Quote ]
| But so far, only the FLEX SDK itself is Open Source, under the MPL. The Flash
| Player and AIR are still closed and binary-only releases.
|
| Why should Flash and its associated technologies be Open Sourced? Well, for
| starters, it would allow it to be rapidly integrated into and optimized for
| every single Linux distribution, and facilitate its porting to other
| architectures.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9244

Vivox(R) Announces Vivox Open Initiative to Drive Innovation and Expand Reach

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of the year, Vivox will open APIs to third party technology
| providers. Soon thereafter, Vivox will open up source code to the client side
| SDK.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/vivoxr-announces-vivox-open-initiative/story.aspx?guid=%7B74D78E9D-9DF0-4386-9BE8-84E348F3DC09%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/5tufhu

Recent:

Is Mule Really Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mule Enterprise Edition (Mule EE) violates item #6 which is described
| above. The License of Mule EE states that you cannot publicly publish
| performance results against it. Whats more if you go to the mule site you
| won't find the source code of Mule EE, rather it asks you weather you
| are "Looking for the open source Mule Community Edition?".
`----

http://www.keith-chapman.org/2008/06/is-mule-really-open-source.html

The vocabulary of open source development models

,----[ Quote ]
| In his initial post on the subject Ted used the terminology “organic”
| and “non-organic”, which does work, although as he discovered, some found the
| term non-organic a little pejorative.
|
| An alternative, suggested by Alex Leverington and originally used in a
| Harvard business school paper (PDF) is “organic” versus “synthetic”.
|
| While that terminology is probably more accurate it too has some potentially
| negative connotations. I personally have used the phrases “captive”
| and “community”, of which the former has obvious negative connotations as far
| as vendor-led projects are concerned.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/26/the-vocabulary-of-open-source-development-models/
http://tinyurl.com/58875r

An alternative to Dual Licensing

,----[ Quote ]
| In a previous post, we have made our point that dual licensing was unfair and
| community debilitating.
|
| In a search for a better solution, I met this weekend with Ludovic Dubost
| CEO, Founder and original contributor of XWiki. XWiki.com  is making its
| income out of enterprise support, software guarantees and integration
| projects. This last part being a substantial source of revenues for XWiki.com
|
| In January 2006 Ludovic faced an important decision: at that time, XWiki was
| a GNU GPL project with a reasonably growing community but because of it
| Ludovic was loosing integrations/outsourcing contracts. Some of his
| potentially largest customers were not comfortable with the GNU GPL.
`----

http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/05/an-alternative.html

"Good enough" ethics and "good enough" open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Journal defined "ethics" broadly as "socially responsible," and then set
| about trying to determine just how socially responsible consumers demand of a
| company before they'll take their business elsewhere...
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9943296-16.html

Customers versus users: a distinction

,----[ Quote ]