[News] New Version of KDE 4.1 Branch Released

Hooray, it's a 4.1.1!

,----[ Quote ]
| After last week's update to the KDE 3.5 series, today's KDE release updates
| the stable KDE 4.1 branch to KDE 4.1.1. It bears the codename "Cebidae"
| referring to an in-joke often made during Akademy 2008. With only a good
| month of development time -- and Akademy in between -- the changelog is still
| impressively long. Pretty much all applications have received the developers'
| attention, resulting in a long list of bugfixes and improvements.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1220442784/

KDE 4.1.1 Release Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE Community Ships First Translation and Service Release of the 4.1 Free
| Desktop, Containing Numerous Bugfixes, Performance Improvements and
| Translation Updates
`----

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.1.1.php

Recent:

KDE 4.1 Mania (Overview on Kubuntu, Fedora and Opensuse)

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.1 is the first feature release for KDE 4. All dates given here are
| subject to revision, but we will try our best to stick to them if possible.
| The KDE Release Team is acting as the coordinator for the 4.1 release.
`----

http://linux-guider.blogspot.com/2008/08/kde-41-mania.html

KDE 4.1 - Wow!

,----[ Quote ]
| So I downloaded it to work alongside KDE 3.5 and wow, is it awesome! It's
| almost like an entirely different program, making my darling Ubuntu Gnome
| desktop look a little boring itself. I may even do a fresh install of Kubuntu
| in this partition with KDE 4, then upgrade to KDE 4.1. In any case, I'm sure
| I'll report back with more to say!
`----

http://sharplinux.blogspot.com/2008/07/kde-4-wow.html

Movies about KDE 4.1 Alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| Jos Poortvliet present some movies, which show some new features in KDE 4.1,
| especially in Plasma, Kwin, Dolphin, Gweniview and some other applications.
| This movies show imposingly the proceedings of KDE 4.1
`----

http://www.czessi.de/en/weblog/2008/05/movies-about-kde-4-1-alpha

KDE 4.1 delivers a next-gen desktop Linux experience

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the weaknesses of the flawed 4.0 release provoked widespread
| criticism from users, version 4.1 is so polished that it feels like a
| completely different piece of software. This version truly delivers on KDE's
| promise of a next-generation Linux desktop environment, and it completes the
| foundation for a strong 4.x series.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080729-kde-4-1-delivers-a-next-gen-desktop-linux-experience.html
http://tinyurl.com/6dg7zu

How to Install KDE 4.1 on Ubuntu 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.1 is finally out today, as you probably already know, and it comes with
| a lot of innovations for the Linux desktop. KDE 4 is the next generation of
| the popular K Desktop Environment, which seeks to fulfill the need for a
| powerful yet easy-to-use desktop, for both personal and enterprise computing.
| The new version provides increased stability over the first KDE 4 version and
| more eye candy!
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml

KDE 4.1 release ups free desktop ante

,----[ Quote ]
| After six months of development since the release of the much publicized 4.0,
| the KDE project has unveiled version 4.1 which includes many new bug fixes
| and feature enhancements.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/254955/kde_4_1_release_ups_free_desktop_ante

KDE 4.1 rocks the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.1 was finally released to the public today. After all the controversy
| since the release of KDE 4.0, I'm happy to announce that KDE 4.1 simply
| rocks.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142661

Is KDE back? 4.1 launches

,----[ Quote ]
| As if to apologize for KDE 4.0, the project's release manager, Dirk Muller,
| released 4.1 along with the news that some 20,803 commits had happened since
| 4.0, not counting 15,432 translation check-ins, nor about 35,000 commits that
| went into "working" branches. That's a lot of hacking.
|
| [...]
|
| The rest of the changes include library enhancements, improved applications
| and frameworks -- all the little things. It sounds promising!
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3263291244.html?kc=rss

KDE 4.1 to officially support Malayalam

,----[ Quote ]
| The amazing collaboration and enthusiasm showed by Swathanthra Malayalam
| Computing’s (SMC) KDE subproject made this possible. We had to cross the kde
| essentials barrier, which is required for inclusion in a KDE release as a
| supported language in a very short span of time. We achieved this milestone
| by completing 10000+ strings in about 10 days by 30+ contributors.
`----

http://www.j4v4m4n.in/2008/07/28/kde-41-to-officially-support-malayalam/

KDE 4.1: What to Expect

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.1 is going to be a very exciting release. I personally opted not to use
| KDE 4 when it was first released, since it was way too buggy and was missing
| far too many features. This could change in a few days.
`----

http://www.dawningvalley.com/2008/07/kde-41-what-to-expect/

My Perfect Desktop: Kubuntu KDE 4

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kubuntu KDE 4 desktop has become my perfect desktop. It has all the
| functionality I could ask for, and I have added applications to supplement
| that effect.
`----

http://jonreagan.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/my-perfect-desktop-kubuntu-kde-4/

Shuttleworth has some nice words for KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Mr Ubuntu, Mark Shuttleworth, slowly warming towards KDE? Or is the man
| merely trying to keep the KDE folk onside, after a whole host of "technical
| writers" have attacked the new release of that desktop environment?
|
| [...]
|
| Given the amount of flak that the recent KDE release - 4.0 - has taken from
| the pro-GNOME pundits at sites like linux.com, you would think that the worst
| possible thing any supporter of GNOME - as Shuttleworth is perceived to be -
| could do is to speak out in support of anything associated with KDE.
|
| But you would be wrong. Shuttleworth is now floating the idea that there can
| be a QT-based GNOME.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19456/1148/

Improvements in KDE’s Folderview

,----[ Quote ]
| Folderview is an awesome plasmoid which makes it possible to show the content
| of a folder on a screen. It also is the first step to say good bye to the
| traditional way of storing links and folder on the desktop itself. The idea
| is that files inside the folder “Desktop” are not shown right on the desktop
| but that in general files from any folder or place can be shown
| in “containers” on the desktop.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/improvements-in-kdes-folderview/

KDE 4 Progress: New plasmoids, Akonadi, KRunner and more

| In spite of fragmentary information about changes, that I’ve published since
| my last insight (like the Amarok 2 visual changelog), I’ve decided after all
| to gather them all in
| one place. Hence, I invite you to the next insight of KDE 4. The revision of
| the day is 811150.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-progress-new-plasmoids-akonadi-krunner-and-more/

Screencast: Showing Off KDE 4.1