[News] Embedded Linux Webinar Approaches (Multi-core); Green PCs Advocated

Webinar dissects Linux multicore migration

,----[ Quote ]
| A free webinar aims to show embedded Linux developers how to migrate existing
| code to a multi-core environment. Hosted by MontaVista Software, Freescale
| Semiconductor, and TechOnline, the Sept 11 webinar will use the multi-core
| Freescale QorIQ P4080 and MPC8641D processors as examples.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2721398145.html?kc=rss

Another area Vista/WS08 can't set a foot on.

Green PC Needs Less Juice Than a Light Bulb

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile in the United States, Tangent has recently released the Tangent
| Evergreen 17 all in one computer, which apparently consumes only 24 watts, 72
| percent less the required power consumption by Energy Star 4.0. This machine
| runs on either the Via Eden 1.0 GHz fan-less processor or the ViaC7 1.50 GHz
| processor with a low-noise fan.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150497/green_pc_needs_less_juice_than_a_light_bulb.html

Recent:

Why Linux won the embedded market?

,----[ Quote ]
| One story not told often enough involves Linux’ growing domination of the
| embedded market.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2501

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS

Embedded Linux research report ships

,----[ Quote ]
| EDC noted that some 40 percent of the survey's 500 respondents were targeting
| embedded Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Also in the earlier reports, Andrews observed that the need for RTOS source
| code was "one of the reasons that proprietary RTOSes created in-house for a
| specific system have long been popular, and now it's a primary motivating
| factor in the adoption of Embedded Linux."
|
| The now completed survey results are said to include "expert analysis" from
| Ann Thryft, a 20-year industry veteran. The report includes chapters on
| platforms, processors, tools, languages, security, target devices, mobile
| development, and of course, Linux.

Greens urge end to software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Ms Turei, who called for greater use of open source and locally developed
| software, says excluding software from patents would ensure others could
| develop ideas. Software would still be protected against piracy by copyright
| law.
|
| The party has promised to investigate "the setup of free municipally owned
| wireless networks". Ms Turei says the cost needs to be researched, but the
| Government would "almost certainly" need to supply funding.
|
| Ms Turei says wider adoption of open source software would reduce costs and
| lead to investment in local IT businesses, which tend to lose out to dominant
| software companies such as Microsoft.
|
| "Monopolies have been allowed to form, stifling competition, consumer choice,
| and indigenous growth of the software industry in Aotearoa/New Zealand."
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4668175a28.html

Making IT work for people - new Green policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party released its Information Technology (IT) Policy today ahead
| of a lecture tonight by free software legend Richard Stallman, jointly hosted
| by Otago University's Campus Greens branch and the computer science
| department.
|
| "IT must work for people not the profits of the few. People on both sides of
| the digital divide should benefit from information technology - IT should not
| create new mechanisms of inequality. And of course our policy assists people
| to utilise IT to reduce their impact on the planet," Greens IT Spokesperson
| Metiria Turei says.
`----

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0808/S00283.htm

Related:

Apple has toxic core: Greenpeace

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Apple's launch of the eco-friendly iPhone last week,
| Greenpeace is demanding an environmental revolution that will
| shake the company to its core.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/16/greenpeace_slams_apple/

Vista poses environmental dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
| experts have warned.
|
| The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
| incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
| graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2174400/vista-poses-environmental

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Use GNU/Linux and help save the planet

,----[ Quote ]
| Are Windows users, not by choice, the worst polluters of the planet
| relative to GNU/Linux? Well, not intentionally but the lifecycle of
| a machine running Windows must be shorter than that of a
| conscientious Linux user who can prevent that old 400MHZ Celeron PC
| with 128MBs of memory gathering dust in the corner from heading for
| the scrapheap.
|
| [...]
|
| The Chinese have a saying: the journey of a thousand miles begins
| with the first step. Reusing a puffing and wheezing old computer
| by installing a minimal GNU/Linux distro and staving off the day
| when it trudges forlornly to the scrapheap is at least a baby step
| in the right direction.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/use_gnu_linux_and_help_save_the_planet

Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213