[News] GNU/Linux Now with Google Maps on Plane Entertainment Systems

Seeing RED on my flight to LA!

,----[ Quote ]
| Called, RED Interactive in-flight entertainment system, this Linux based
| playground allows you to do a bunch of cool things. You can track the flight
| using Google maps, see your altitude, and the outside air temperature. But
| that's not all, you can watch satellite TV, listen to music and even watch
| music videos. If that's not cool enough, you can also order drinks, snacks
| and meals using the screen and it even provides a credit card scanner to
| order any of the "premium" items that aren't offered for free.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/seeing_red_on_my_flight_to_la

Recent:

Linux in Flight: The Penguin Grows Wings

,----[ Quote ]
| Another place in the aviation world, much to my surprise, that Linux has not
| only crept into, but appears to be gaining steam, is the maintenance arena.
| Yes, seriously.  Tux is helping more and more in the arena of aircraft
| maintenance.  It's nice to know that there's a reliable OS powering a wide
| number of computers and diagnostic tools these days that help keep our
| favorite, and not so favorite, airplanes flying.
|
| And that's not all.  Linux is finding its way into baggage handling systems,
| ticket systems, and so much more.  You could say that the penguins are taking
| over the airline business.  So the next time you hop a flight to wherever
| you're going, feel good in knowing that it's very likely you're taking a
| penguin with you.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=434

Related:

Virgin America tunes up with YSlow

,----[ Quote ]
| The travel start up has been making great use of open source in its software
| infrastructure during the launch phase, with Red Hat and Fedora running in
| its data center and on its web servers, a virtual private network using open
| source, and in-flight entertainment severs using MySQL and back-of-seat TV
| sets that are powered by Panasonic's Linux aboard its aircraft.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/26/virgin_america_open_source/

Linux-based airline seat-back entertainment system is a winner

,----[ Quote ]
| This Red Hat-based system also is installed on Qantas Airways and on Boeing
| 777s operated by Delta and Continental. eX2, the newest version of
| Panasonic's in-flight entertainment systems, offers not the canned radio
| stations of yesteryear, but rather audio and video on demand, games, and even
| online books, depending on the carrier.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119544

Singapore Airlines puts a PC in every seat

,----[ Quote ]
| The whole system runs on Red Hat's distribution of the Linux operating
| system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=686973581&rid=-50

StarOffice, Linux fly high on Singapore Airlines

,----[ Quote ]
| Singapore Airlines is offering access to Sun's StarOffice 8 office
| productivity suite free of charge to passengers on its new Boeing
| 777-300ER aircraft. StarOffice, Sun's proprietary version of
| OpenOffice.org, runs on the aircraft's Linux server and is accessed
| via a seat-back terminal at each passenger's seat, according to Sun.

Over 30s VAX, Linux breeds Boeing's new jets

,----[ Quote ]
| Hawker de Havilland, the local arm of aircraft engineering giant Boeing,
| will retire its 30-year-old VAX system in favour of its new Linux-based
| environment in the manufacture of parts for the company's next-generation
| 787 jets.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1834585068;fp;2;fpid;1

Real-time Linux helps design military cargo plane

,----[ Quote ]
| Airbus reportedly tapped real-time Linux in designing its A400M
| military transport plane, set to ship this year. Concurrent said
| it supplied the German airplane manufacturer with real-time
| Linux-based systems used for hardware-in-loop (HIL) simulation
| test stands used to perfect the A400M's "high-lift control computers."

Demo features POSIX-compliant separation kernel, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LynuxWorks says its simulated aircraft demo for EAC shows a pair
| of applications running on a Linux guest OS, alongside a secure
| application running on top of LynxSecure. The demo will show that
| failure of the guest Linux OS does not impair operation of the
| LynxSecure application, the company says.

Linux headed into Boeing anti-sub aircraft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6100043.html?part=rss&tag=6100043&subj=news