[News] Free New Facilities for Free Software CD Burning in India

Free software vending machine

,----[ Quote ]
| Freedom toaster,’ a free software CD/DVD vending machine, will be launched at
| Technopark in the city on Monday.
|
| The Toaster is designed and developed by Zyxware Technologies and promoted
| jointly by Zyxware Technologies and GNU/Linux Users Group Trivandrum.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/01/stories/2008090160450300.htm

Related:

Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
| software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
| text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
| and the Free Software Foundation of India.
`----

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

Recent:

Bring 'n burn

,----[ Quote ]
| Designed initially to provide access to open source software at grass-roots
| levels, the Freedom Toaster is a computer kiosk that allows anyone to copy
| from its library of open source software and operating systems onto blank
| CDs – referred to as toasting in the Linux community. The concept proved so
| popular that the Foundation decided to make the operating design available
| for free in its quest to bridge the digital divide and provide ever present
| access to information. Locally the relatively high cost of computer equipment
| still proved a stumbling block and the organisation decided it needed to
| develop a sustainable business strategy to better meet the demand for
| toasters.
|
| [...]
|
| Will Freedom Toasters one day be as accessible as cash machines? Who knows?
| What is for certain is that I will be following the evolution of what is fast
| becoming an ‘open source icon’ with interest in the future.
`----

http://www.instrumentation.co.za/regular.aspx?pklRegularId=3685

Unisa toasts open source success

,----[ Quote ]
| It uses a customised open source operating system that allows the kiosks to
| burn multiple disks at once.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/software/2008/0807181034.asp?O=FPTOP&S=Open%20Source&A=LIN

Free software, freely available

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software costs nothing to own, and now costs nothing to obtain
| thanks to a group of entrepreneurs determined to get around the problem of
| expensive bandwidth in South Africa.
|
| The Freedom Toaster originally started in 2005 as a project by the
| Shuttleworth Foundation as a software kiosk where anyone can burn -
| or "toast" in Linux jargon - open source software such as Linux and other
| information onto CDs and DVDs.
|
| "One challenge in developing countries is that free software is generally
| distributed online, and in those countries the bandwidth is often expensive
| or non-existent so free software does not reach those communities that most
| stand to benefit from it," said Mark Shuttleworth. "The Freedom Toaster is a
| way of making free software, and in fact many forms of free content,
| available in these places."
`----

http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_2381616,00.html

Bridging the African digital divide - with a ‘toaster’

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2008/06/17/bridging-the-african-digital-divide-%E2%80%93-with-a-%E2%80%98toaster%E2%80%99/
http://tinyurl.com/5geddf