[News] Intellectual Monopolists Act Like Real Pirates, Break the Law

German Customs cracks down at IFA

,----[ Quote ]
| German Customs officials have raided several stands at this years IFA trade
| show in Berlin, including Emtec's, MSI's, and Xoro's. The officials are
| acting on behalf of Sisvel, which has a stand in Hall 2.2 at this year's IFA.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/German-Customs-cracks-down-at-IFA--/111434

Now *that's* piracy. Attacking booths with weapons.

They use proxies to do the dirty job. Here's the gem:

Berlin Court condemns Sisvel's IFA seizures as "illegal"

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Sisvel, Europe's very own "patent troll", was given a serious blow by a
| Berlin Court. Sisvel convinced German public prosecutors to provide some
| helping hands in pressing companies in the mp3 audio field to take licenses
| under patents, owned by Philips and other companies.
`----

http://ipgeek.blogspot.com/2006/09/berlin-court-judges-sisvels-ifa.html

The only "criminals" are those companies that take the law into their own hands
and break the law. Sisvel for example...

| Expect Microsoft to ally even more closely with the RIAA and MPAA in making
| yet another try at hardware-based DRM restrictions — and legislation making
| them mandatory. The rationale will be to stop piracy and spam, but the real
| goal will be customer control and a lockout of all unauthorized software. Two
| previous attempts at this have failed, but the logic of Microsoft's situation
| is such that they must keep trying.
|
| I also expect a serious effort, backed by several billion dollars in bribe
| money (oops, excuse me, campaign contributions), to get open-source software
| outlawed on some kind of theory that it aids terrorists. We can only defeat
| that by making sure that national governments become so attached to
| open-source code that their military men and bureaucrats will short-stop the
| bribed legislators, rather than let their vital infrastructure be outlawed.
`----

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween11.html

SEC Investigating Microsoft Practices -- Earnings Manipulated, Former Employee
Contends

,----[  Quote]
| "The CFO to whom Charlie was reporting his concerns about illegality was the
| biggest advocate for the very illegality that was going on," Vial argued in
| court a year ago.
`----

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990701&slug=2969514

Microsoft Agrees To Refrain From Accounting Violations in SEC Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has agreed to refrain from accounting violations to settle federal
| regulators' allegations that it misrepresented its financial performance, the
| government announced Monday.
|
| Under a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the software
| giant neither admitted to nor denied wrongdoing. No fine was imposed.
|
| The SEC alleged that Microsoft's accounting practices from July 1994 through
| June 1998 caused its income to be substantially misstated.
`----

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18819490

Whistleblower settles after Microsoft SEC fraud claim

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/01/09/whistleblower_settles_after_microsoft_sec/