[News] Apple Seeks Intellectual Monopolies on Junk; Patent Litigation Nighmares

Apple files notification screen patent, is this really that unique?

,----[ Quote ]
| It is a bit strange that a patent would be needed for something like this
| that even basic feature phones already use in some manner.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=122

Back into the Cauldron: Patent Suit Renews Bitter Dispute Between Gasification
Rivals Quantum Catalytics and Ze-gen

,----[ Quote ]
| Boston clean-energy startup Ze-gen is building a pilot plant where waste
| materials are vaporized in a giant vat of molten iron, producing “syngas”
| that can then be burned to make electricity. When a federal judge in Texas
| dismissed a patent-infringement lawsuit against the company last month,
| Ze-gen had cause to hope that its recent legal hassles had also turned to
| vapor. But then, last month, its accusers filed a new complaint in federal
| district court in Boston. And with Ze-gen expected to file documents refuting
| the allegations soon, the case is likely to get a lot more complicated before
| it burns out.
`----

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2008/09/18/back-into-the-cauldron-patent-suit-renews-bitter-dispute-between-gasification-rivals-quantum-catalytics-and-ze-gen/

Related:

IMF'S FOUR STEPS TO DAMNATION

,----[ Quote ]
| And the US government knew it, charges Stiglitz, at least in the case
| of the biggest privatisation of all, the 1995 Russian sell-off. 'The
| US Treasury view was: "This was great, as we wanted Yeltsin
| re-elected. We DON'T CARE if it's a corrupt election." '
|
| Stiglitz cannot simply be dismissed as a conspiracy nutter. The man
| was inside the game - a member of Bill Clinton's cabinet, chairman of
| the President's council of economic advisers.
|
| Most sick-making for Stiglitz is that the US-backed oligarchs stripped
| Russia's industrial assets, with the effect that national output was
| cut nearly in half.
|
| After privatisation, Step Two is capital market liberalisation. In
| theory this allows investment capital to flow in and
| out. Unfortunately, as in Indonesia and Brazil, the money often simply
| flows out.
|
| Stiglitz calls this the 'hot money' cycle. Cash comes in for
| speculation in real estate and currency, then flees at the first whiff
| of trouble. A nation's reserves can drain in days.
`----

http://www.stallman.org/imf-damnation.html

Recent:

Apple options backdating litigation still not over

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when Apple watchers thought the backdated options issue was on the verge
| of being put to bed, another suit is taking the limelight.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20658/1054/

SEC Foresees Rise in Fraud Cases

,----[ Quote ]
| Laying out his priorities, the new enforcement chief for the Securities and
| Exchange Commission in San Francisco said Thursday he expects an upswing in
| fraud cases against public companies.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202424479239

Apple agrees to pay itself $14m

,----[ Quote ]
| After an internal investigation, the company blamed ex-financial chief Fred
| Anderson and ex-general council Nancy Heinen for the trouble. Anderson
| settled with the SEC for $3.5m without admitting wrongdoing, and Heinen paid
| $2.2m just last month for a similar arrangement.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/11/apple_proposed_derivative_settlement/

Former Apple lawyer settles options case with SEC

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10017199-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20