[News] Fermi GNU/Linux 4.7 is Released

Scientific Linux Fermi 4.7  i386 is now available

,----[ Quote ]
| This is based on the rebuilding of RPMS out of SRPMS's that form Scientific
| Linux.  Please read this entire document before installing.
`----

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0809&L=linux-users-announce&T=0&P=77

CERN's use of GNU/Linux also helps demonstrate that Windows is just a
second-class operating system, a consolation prize, and a "poor man's Linux".

Recent:

Large Hadron Collider - powered by Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The most powerful physics project in the history of the known universe - The
| $10 Billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC)- shot its first light speed beam this
| morning around its 27 km circuit. Beyond the 20 years it took to build and
| half of all the world's astrophysicists, it also takes another key ingredient
| to make LHC work -- Linux.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/09/large-hadron-collider---powere.html

One Tale of Two Scientific Distros

,----[ Quote ]
| Several weeks ago, I was flying west past Chicago, watching the ground slide
| by below, when I spotted the signature figure eight of the Fermi National
| Accelerator Laboratory, better known as Fermilab. I shot some pictures, which
| I put up at the Linux Journal Flickr pool (Flickr also uses Linux).
|
| I figured Fermilab naturally would use Linux, and found that Fermilab has its
| own distro: Fermi Linux. Its public site provides a nice window into a highly
| professional and focused usage of Linux. Within Fermi Linux, specific
| generations are known as Scientific Linux Fermi, each with version numbers
| and the code names Charm, Strange, Top, Bottom, Up, Feynmann, Wilson and
| Lederman.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/one-tale-two-scientific-distros

Scientific Linux 5.2 Live CD Works in Persistent Mode

,----[ Quote ]
| Compared with the previous version, Scientific Linux 5.2 Live CD/DVD works in
| persistent mode, which means that it will store/restore your settings if you
| run it from an USB flash drive. Also, this new feature will allow you to
| carry the USB stick with you, and boot from it whenever you need a stable and
| reliable operating system.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Scientific-Linux-5-2-Live-CD-Works-in-Persisten-Mode-91982.shtml

Fermi Scientific Linux. What is it?

,----[ Quote ]
| So the geegazoids at Fermi Lab and other places apparently got together to
| generate a version of Linux that is as close to Red Hat as you can get and
| still be Open Source legal. It is Red Hat. Yet it is not.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/07/fermi_scientific_linux_what_is.php

Move Your Business from Windows to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If the cost of Windows is getting your small business down, consider shifting
| to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Though you can purchase boxed commercial versions of Linux that include
| support, every Linux distribution is also available for free under the terms
| of the open-source Gnu General Public License, or GPL. Once you figure out
| which distribution you'd like to use (see below), you can simply download,
| burn, and install it on as many systems as you choose.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/147879/move_your_business_from_windows_to_linux.html

Related:

Scientific Linux Live CD/DVD 4.6 is now available for i386 and x86_64

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0804&L=scientific-linux-announce&T=0&P=78