[News] 5 Bew GNU/Linux Distros: PLD (Live CD), RIPLinuX, Damn Small, Foresight Kid's Edition, Clonezilla

  • Subject: [News] 5 Bew GNU/Linux Distros: PLD (Live CD), RIPLinuX, Damn Small, Foresight Kid's Edition, Clonezilla
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:49:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

18 September 2008 PLD Live - stable version

,----[ Quote ]
| There is stable version of PLD Live available.
`----

http://pld-linux.org/

[Damn Small 4.4.6 released]

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

[RIPLinuX 6.6 released]

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll need at least 256MB of RAM and a 586 CPU to boot and use it.
| There's a 32bit kernel and a 64bit kernel.
`----

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Foresight Kid's Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight Kid's Edition is a Linux distribution for children that features a
| number of education and entertainment applications, as well as the benefits
| of the Foresight GNOME Edition: a rolling release schedule that always keeps
| your desktop up to date; a revolutionary package manager, Conary; a
| customized GNOME desktop environment and an innovative set of excellent, up
| to date software applications.
`----

http://www.foresightlinux.org/kids.html

[Clonezilla 1.2.0-25]

http://www.clonezilla.org/news/

Recent:

A comparative look at compact sysadmin distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Once I discovered RIPLinuX, I switched from my old sysadmin distribution and
| will be using RIPLinuX from now on. With so many tools organized in a
| user-friendly graphical environment, RIPLinuX is the best sysadmin
| distribution I could find that can fit on a mini CD. The organized help
| system makes the tools easy to use, even for nontechnical users. With a
| reasonable memory requirement and trouble-free booting, RIPLinuX would make a
| good addition to any system administrator's toolbox.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147591

Related:

Manage partitions and disks with GParted-Clonezilla live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| For a home user or an administrator with just a few systems, the
| GParted-Clonezilla live CD is an excellent tool for managing disks. It can
| save you several hours when preparing new disks or migrating partitions from
| one disk to another. It's also a fantastic way to move a partition that's not
| around free space into a bigger partition without much fuss.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/115208

OpenGEU - A new distro with a new name and a new look for Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I am honestly pleased to give this package a complete 5 Pennie review. I can
| clearly state that this is everything is a distro I want, with little given
| way of the politics for the day with removing the codecs and having to change
| the name. I didn't really like Geubuntu because the Ge confuses the reality
| of the day. Eubuntu was already out there, designed as an education bundle so
| how do you communicate what is under the hood?
`----

http://knolinux.com/2008/01/22/opengeu.aspx

openGEU - sunny Ubuntu - Overview & short tutorial

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opengeu_overview.html