[News] [Rival] Google Rises and Microsoft Keeps Falling in Search

comScore Releases August 2008 U.S. Search Engine Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Sites led the U.S. core search market in July with 63 percent of the
| searches conducted, up from 61.9 percent in July, followed by Yahoo! Sites
| (19.6 percent), Microsoft Sites (8.3 percent), Ask Network (4.8 percent), and
| AOL LLC (4.3 percent).
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/comscore-releases-august-2008-us/story.aspx?guid=%7BB0AA8C84-A5F7-46CB-A6E1-9E5A9D5BA511%7D&dist=hppr

Recent:

Google Gets 70% of U.S. Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| But Google's gain led to lower numbers for other search companies. Yahoo Inc.
| received 19.62% of U.S. searches in June, down from 21.31% last year, while
| MSN Search received 5.46%, down from 9.85% in June 2007.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148649/google_gets_70_of_us_searches.html

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
| "To remain competitive in online advertising Microsoft needs to quickly
| expand its footprint on the internet. But there is a limited number of large
| internet companies or operations to buy."
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business/Microsoft-shifts---its.4306016.jp

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
| But truth be told, it's not the worst idea. What's the harm in giving it a
| shot? In a recession--or whatever you want to call the current economic
| malaise in the United States--consumers are open to bribes (oh, I forgot:
| rebates). So why not see if this strikes the people's fancy? But this is only
| a holding action. The reason more people use Google's search is the user
| experience. It works better, so they keep returning. Microsoft CEO Steve
| Ballmer knows this.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949286-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Microsoft spamming websites to boost its numbers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft claims that it's all part of a quality control effort, but a rising
| number of web masters is complaining that Microsoft is trying to inflate its
| Live.com traffic delivery by spamming websites.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9984574-16.html

Related:

Microsoft funding bankrupt Live Search experiment with porn spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear reader, please tell me: what do you think of a search engine that steals
| (bandwidth and AdSense revenue), lies, spams away, and is not clever enough
| to stop their criminal activities when they’re caught?
|
| Recently a Live Search rep whined in an interview because so many robots.txt
| files out there block their crawler...
`----

http://sebastians-pamphlets.com/microsoft-live-search-the-downfall-of-a-tiny-search-engine/

Microsoft’s Club Live fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| People were using the macro on more than 3 games at a time, on more than 2
| accounts at a time, why Microsoft didn’t pick up on the fact that in the
| first few days some people had accumulated enough for 3 Zunes each is beyond
| us. Some were lucky, others, not so much.
|
| [...]
|
| So far no one has been banned from using their accounts, which they needed to
| sign up, probably because they did not break any laws, or probably because
| Microsoft didn’t want that hassle and liked their new found traffic.
`----

http://www.blogthe.net/2007/07/16/microsofts-club-live-fiasco/

Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201001092