[News] Free Software Movement Spreads in India

Software Freedom Day 2008 @ Thiruvananthapuram

,----[ Quote ]
| The event is sponsored by Kerala State IT Mission, IEEE and Kerala Khadi and
| Village Industries Board.
|
| The forenoon session (10.00 a.m ­ 1.00 p.m) will include talks on and
| demonstrations of free software. Afternoon session (2.00 pm ­ 3.45 p.m) will
| include exhibition of three movies on free software and in the evening
| session (4.00 pm ­ 6.00 p.m) there will be a tutorial titled “MaSH ­ the
| true   story   of   a   Shell“   for   programmers.   This   tutorial   will
| show   the   participants   efficient   and effective use of GNU Development
| tools and encourage them to join the GNU Project. In the 2 hour presentation,
| we will show how to build a basic shell. The participants will learn some of
| the good constructs in C, how to use subversion, diff, patch etc.
`----

http://free-knowledge.web4all.in/2008/09/18/software-freedom-day-2008-thiruvananthapuram/

SFD 2008 Special - Free Software Philosophy Publication in Tamil

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope this book will aid the efforts to convince Tamil Nadu to follow the
| path of Kerala: to migrate the public schools to free software. - Richard M
| Stallman, Sep 11, 2008
`----

http://amachu.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/sfd-2008-special-free-software-philosophy-publication-in-tamil/

"To me, Bill is the great white shark that looks at minnows with no more
consciousness than we look at a plate of food. The shark has no soul. The
shark knows no boundaries. All it has is an appetite. When the shark gets
hungry, it thinks “I’m hungry”, so it eats."

                                --Mitch Kertzman, former CEO of Sybase

Recent:

Bharat Operating System Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS (Bharat Operating System Solutions) is a GNU/Linux distribution
| developed by  C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) for
| enhancing the use of Free/ Open Source Software throughout India. BOSS
| Linux - a key deliverable of NRCFOSS is an Indian GNU/Linux distribution &
| currently localized to Tamil / Hindi. Targeting Indian user it is designed as
| a user-friendly Desktop environment coupled with Indian language support and
| other packages that are highly relevant for use in the government
| domain.Subsequent version will support the educational domain as well. The
| ultimate goal is to localize into all 22 official Indian regional languages.
| So this benefits non-english speakers to reach technology that bridge digital
| divide in India.
`----

http://bosslinux.in/boss-3-0-release

C-DAC Launches BOSS Linux Version 3.0, Signs MoU with NIC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Center for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) has launched its
| Bharat Operating Systems Solutions (BOSS) Linux software version 3.0
| developed by the National Resource Center for Free/Open Source Software
| (NRCFOSS). BOSS is a GNU/Linux distribution for enhancing the use of Free and
| Open Source Software (FOSS) in the country.
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/news/C-DAC-Launches-BOSS-Linux-Version-3.0,-Signs-MoU-with-NIC/13087/4/1

Say Ubuntu!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai, India.
|
| The city administration awarded the school toppers with free laptops. Thanks
| to the organizers for the Ubuntu screens (otherwise we wouldn't have known).
`----

http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=17

Indian Courts started supporting Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Towards Speedy, Inexpensive, Transparent and Accountable Justice
|
| Recently the Judicial Departments has taken steps towards the opensource
| softwares and they have started the operations for that they initially
| distributed around
|
| 10000 nos of laptops of hp along with the Redhat enterprise linux 5 along
| with the internet connection to their officers.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/indian-courts-started-supporting-linux-657167/#post3221474
http://tinyurl.com/5wfyg5

C-DAC Releases Five New Products at Elitex 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswireindia.com/PressRelease.asp?b2mid=14841