[News] X Server Gets More Robust with Ubuntu Patch/Feature

Ubuntu's BulletProofX Takes Simpler Step Forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Introduced in Ubuntu 7.10 was a feature known as BulletProofX, which provides
| a fail-safe mode that is by default used when the X server fails to properly
| initialize. In this original implementation, it would default back to using
| the VESA display driver with 256 colors and then proceed to run the
| displayconfig-gtk utility. While this is nice for the end-user as it keeps
| them from touching a terminal to debug an X server problem, for experienced
| users it inhibits them from easily debugging the problem. This Canonical
| implementation also had frustrated other users. However, with the forthcoming
| Ubuntu 8.10 release, it has received some much-needed improvements while
| making BulletProofX more simple.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bulletproofx_2&num=1

Recent:

What’s behind GregKH’s (latest) Rant?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some missing numbers…
|
| I dug up a few numbers that Greg missed.
|
|     * Worldwide Employees
|           o Canonical: < 200
|           o Red Hat: ~2200
|           o Novell: ~4100
|           o IBM: 386,558
`----

http://dustinkirkland.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/whats-behind-gregkhs-latest-rant/

If not Google, which corporation best champions open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| So who might replace it?
|
|     * IBM, which has more open source projects out there than anyone else?
|     * Red Hat, which offers the leading Linux distribution?
|     * Canonical, which is so public in its support of desktop Linux through
|       Ubuntu?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2904

In defense of Ubuntu