Re: Windows Vista did not steal ideas from Mac OS X!

- From Comes vs Microsoft <
http://boycottnovell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/px07278.pdf >:

From; Vic Gundotra
Sent; Wednesday, 3une 30, 2004 8:29 AM
To: Jim Allchin; Brian Valentine; Will Poole; Joe Peterson
Cc; Sanjay Pathasarathy; Chrles Fitzgerald
Subject: RE: tiger

Steve is trying hard to retain the developers he has left.

He showed “spotlight” functionality embedded in 4 different apps, then
highlighted that developers can build (and should build) the same
functionality in their apps,

I have SDK - will send to Quentin

They even showed a bit of extensibility in their design.

I don’t have details, but at first blush, I think they will be there 80% on
developer platform too.

° Their Avalon competitor (core video, core image) was hot - lots of
transparency, ripple effects, etc
̄° I have the coot widgets (dashboard) running on my Mac right now with all the
effects he showed on stage. I’ve had no crashes in 5 hours.
° Their video conferencing was amazing (you have to see a demo),
° They have no indigo/web services story
° They are betting on RSS in a high profile way - so they will get credit for
this too
° They have “agent” like software - I have it working on my Mac as of last
night. It’s very cool scripting soltware for the entire system. You should see
a demo of this - Jobs does it in his keynote
° I’ve enclosed a screen shot from Lenn of using Spotlight against locally
cached exchange data. (You can point the built in mail cient against an
exchange server. The mail is copied down locally, and then “spotlight” works
against it
wickedly fast)

Video of Job’s talk is here: http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

The bits we deliver in Sept 05 PDC must be compelling, even in beta form. UI
must be hot. We will be directly compared against tiger.

- -vicg