[News] [Rival] Windows/Microsoft's Reputation Wounded, OEMs Pick GNU/Linux

Microsoft's $300 million ad campaign tumbles with new PC ads

,----[ Quote ]
| Further, as PC companies such as Dell and Acer continue to seek new ways to
| use Linux in place of Windows, and as the top PC vendor HP begins its own
| efforts to create a Windows alternative as reported by BusinessWeek, the idea
| of advertising "the PC" would do even less for Microsoft.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/18/microsofts_300_million_ad_campaign_tumbles_with_new_pc_ads.html

There’s Nothing There

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s not necessary for effective ads to directly sell anything. An effective
| ad simply has to make a point. Some of the best ads, rather than establishing
| facts or planting ideas, instead create a feeling. Nike’s “Just Do It”
| campaign didn’t tell you to buy sneakers. Apple’s “Think Different” didn’t
| even mention computers. But those campaigns created feelings about those
| brands that were so strong that they still feel new.
|
| Microsoft’s panicked reaction to these Seinfeld ads, yanking them from the
| air and severing ties with Seinfeld, isn’t because the ads were poorly
| received. And dropping these ads is a panicked reaction. Let’s not pretend it
| makes any sense that the Seinfeld spots were planned as a two-episode teaser
| all along. No one signs Jerry Seinfeld for $10 million in a much-heralded
| deal to make just two spots that only run for a grand total of two weeks.
`----

http://daringfireball.net/2008/09/theres_nothing_there

Recent:

End Runs Around Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, the sources say employees in HP's PC division are exploring the
| possibility of building a mass-market operating system. HP's software would
| be based on Linux, the open-source operating system that is already widely
| available, but it would be simpler and easier for mainstream users, the
| sources say.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_38/b4100084242512.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_best+of+the+magazine

HP's 'End Run' Around Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As Hewlett-Packard steps up efforts to make Microsoft's operating system
| easier to use, some want to devise a rival version with Linux
|
| [...]
|
| Others in HP's PC division are exploring the possibility of building an HP
| operating system for mainstream desktop and notebook computers based on the
| open-source Linux system, which competes with Windows, say people familiar
| with the company's plans. The goals may be to make HP less dependent on new
| releases of Windows, and to strengthen HP's hand against Apple (AAPL), which
| has gained market share with computers that boast innovative features and
| inspire a loyal following of users.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2008/tc2008095_077474.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

Mainstream media writes Windows obit

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, a tough day for Windows.
|
| BusinessWeek reports that HP, the world’s biggest PC company, is so troubled
| by Vista’s ‘tepid reception’ and Apple’s resurgence that it is developing its
| own operating system. Meanwhile a New York Times columnist writes on his blog
| that Windows is “already dying a death by a thousand cuts.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=219

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/