[News] More Reasons to Care About Freedom of Software, Drivers

Myths of Linux - People don't care about licensing

,----[ Quote ]
| Other reasons to like Debian are:
|
|     * Debian releases upgrades when they're ready not because they need a new
|     revenue stream
|     * The Debian project takes freedom (that means my freedom ) seriously.
|     This means I can rely on having access to my data
|     * Debian is safe and secure and offers different distributions depending
|     on your expertise level and your needs
|
| I understand how some people can get frustrated when Debian refuses to
| include useful proprietary software. I think, however, that this modus
| operandi is right. It means that I, the computer user, decide when I want to
| cross the line from free to non-free. It means that I decide when I want to
| risk having my data tied up in a closed proprietary format, because I know
| when I've installed non-free software.
`----

http://gnuru.org/article/1361/myths-linux-people-don-t-care-about-licensing;title=Myths%20of%20Linux%20-%20People%20don'

Another reason to reject proprietary drivers (too much reliance on vendors):

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Most notably what this release lacks is support for X.Org 7.4 / X Server
| 1.5.0. That support is expected to arrive next month. If it doesn't arrive,
| it will leave a lot of unhappy users with Ubuntu 8.10 and the other
| distributions being released this fall.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_catalyst_89_linux&num=1

Recent:

Why do Open-Licensed drivers matter?

,----[ Quote ]
| The very fifth reason open-licensed drivers matter, and a very current one,
| is that supporting an Open-Licensed driver can create jobs that weren't
| there, save money for companies, help optimize drivers outside of the
| original vendors aggressive product schedule, and allow customers and clients
| who rely on functional drivers to actually have a say in what goes on with
| the drivers.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-do-open-licensed-drivers-matter.html

Sovereign immunity blocks DMCA suit against Air Force

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/dmca_suit_blocked/