[News] Sun and Yahoo Bet on Free Software to Revive Their Business

  • Subject: [News] Sun and Yahoo Bet on Free Software to Revive Their Business
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:29:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sun sends out global call for open-source support

,----[ Quote ]
| Networking giant Sun Microsystems has called on its employees and community
| members to promote the importance and benefits of open source technologies.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/09/16/sun-sends-out-global-call-open-source-support

Open Hack Day: Yahoo’s New Open Source Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Yahoo co-founder David Filo, hack day represents Yahoo’s new
| open source strategy.
|
| “The company has embraced open pretty much throughout the entire thing,” said
| Filo at a press conference. “It is very important to us, this open hack day
| is an important part of that.”
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Open_Hack_Day:_Yahoo_s_New_Open_Source_Strategy

Yahoo opens its headquarters to developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo welcomed hundreds of developers to its Sunnyvale campus Friday
| for "Open Hack Day 2008."
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=30226

"There’s no company called Linux, there’s barely a Linux road map. Yet Linux
sort of springs organically from the earth. And it had, you know, the
characteristics of communism that people love so very, very much about it.
That is, it’s free."

                                                     --Steve Ballmer

"Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols anyone
can implement is communism; it was set up by that famous communist agent, the
US Department of Defense."

                                                     --Richard Stallman

Recent:

Yahoo Plans to Open Up its Sites and Services

,----[ Quote ]
| What remains to be seen is the answer to the classic "how open is open?"
| question. Will the company place strict limits on what outside developers can
| change and build? If by open they really mean open, there could be many open
| source projects that could benefit from reaching out to the Yahoo community.
| This is one to keep an eye on.
`----

http://ostatic.com/173254-blog/yahoo-plans-to-open-up-its-sites-and-services

Yahoo Open: Finally, a real answer to Google

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday, 300 programmers will descend upon Sunnyvale, Calif., to plant the
| seeds of what Yahoo hopes will be an answer to Google's Internet might.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10039742-93.html

Yahoo.com promoting Firefox 3!

,----[ Quote ]