[News] Liberal Democrats (UK) Bet on Free Software, US Spies Embrace FOSS Methodology

  • Subject: [News] Liberal Democrats (UK) Bet on Free Software, US Spies Embrace FOSS Methodology
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:23:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Liberal Democrats decide to go for Open Source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Rugby based Open Source IT Consultancy credativ has been awarded a contract
| by the Liberal Democrats to provide server migration and support for its IT
| systems that are based on free open source software.
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=17334

Open Source Intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source intelligence (OSINT) is, for lack of a universally-accepted
| formal definition, information of value that you don’t have to steal with
| spies or technical means. It can be free or you might have to pay for it but
| the thrust is that it is not classified or otherwise restricted by a
| government entity. To an extent we all use OSINT every day for any decision
| of substance; you identify a question that needs to be answered, you gather
| information that will help you make an informed decision, you process or
| analyze that information, and you make a decision based on the outcome of
| your analytic process. You don’t need a spy or satellite to tell you which
| car to buy; in many cases a government doesn’t need either of those tools to
| help it decide whether or not to take some kind of political action against
| an adversary. A simplistic comparison to be sure, but at the other end of the
| spectrum consider that all global business runs on OSINT, not secrets.
`----

http://threatswatch.org/analysis/2008/09/open-source-intelligence/

Related:

Tories plan open door for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Thompson, a Cambridge University IT lecturer and businessman
| who is drawing up Osborne's request to make Britain the "open source
| leader of Europe", said that procurement - including the notoriously
| secretive gateway process - might be opened up so that it was easier
| for smaller firms to pay homage to the public purse.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/04/tory_opensource/

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3