[News] Data Warehousing Project Becomes Free Software, Gets US$10 Million and Partnership

  • Subject: [News] Data Warehousing Project Becomes Free Software, Gets US$10 Million and Partnership
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:13:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Infobright releases open-source data warehouse

,----[ Quote ]
| Analytic data warehousing vendor Infobright is releasing an open-source data
| warehousing product under the GPL v2 license, and has gained Sun Microsystems
| as an investor through a US$10 million round of venture funding, the startup
| announced Monday.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/091508-infobright-releases-open-source-data.html

Infobright Introduces Open Source Analytic Data Warehouse

http://www.esj.com/business_intelligence/article.aspx?EditorialsID=9115

Infobright and Jaspersoft Announce Plans for Joint Open Source Solution Bundle

,----[ Quote ]
| "With downloads of Jaspersoft's products topping the six-million mark, there
| clearly is a huge community committed to open source BI and a tremendous need
| for an open source data warehouse," said Brian Gentile, president and CEO,
| Jaspersoft.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/infobright-jaspersoft-announce-plans-joint/story.aspx?guid=%7BBE438266-A25A-47D8-9480-AFD904887E78%7D&dist=hppr

Recent:

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/01/vc-funding-for-open-source-hits-an-all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9907679-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

How Open Technology Could Lead Us Out Of Recession

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, the United States has not only lost its former dominance in
| world technology, it is rapidly achieving a status of "a nation of
| shopkeepers".
|
| We need to remove the barriers to entering the market. We need to be the
| innovators in science and technology again. We need to regain the excitement
| we had about scientific progress back in the 1940's and 1950's. We need
| technicians in white lab coats, and we need to look up to them because they
| are giving us wonderful things like atomic power and trips to the moon again.
| We need kids to be excited about getting a chemistry set again. We need to
| let those garage start-ups break out of that garage and open up their own
| factory. We need to bring back homebrew computer clubs. We need people who
| can say that they know something about computers besides how to turn one on.
|
| In short, we need more geeks. Geeks make money.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=how_open_technology_could_lead_us_out_of&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/no-recession-at-red-hat/

Economic downturn = Financial upturn for GroundWork and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a great time to be in open source. When I see people straining to sell
| and buy homes, I can smell the recession. But when I go to work selling
| open-source solutions, I can taste prosperity. A downturn separates the wheat
| from the chaff. Here's hoping for even more open-source "wheat."
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9900837-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Schmidt: Google 'well-positioned' for a recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the world's leading Internet search engine, said Tuesday it can
| weather any economic downturn because its advertisers are broad-based.
|
| Chief Executive Eric Schmidt acknowledged that a shortage of credit in
| financial markets is a "very serious issue" and that many people are
| expecting a global economic slowdown.
|
| "It's too early to say if there's (already) been any specific impact. But if
| there were, I don't think it would be much," Schmidt told reporters at a
| briefing during a visit to Sydney, Australia.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234685.html

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to ZDNetAsia in an exclusive interview, he said the economic
| slowdown in the United States will favor open source companies. "During an
| economic slowdown, not everything slows down [and] IT projects will continue
| to be undertaken. But IT budgets will be reduced," he said, noting that
| companies will then turn to lower cost software options such as open source.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62038598,00.htm

Software Firms Face Recession Ripple Effect

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techstockupdate/10403419.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/35tfgn