[News] Lingerie Business Dumps Windows for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Lingerie Business Dumps Windows for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:42:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Found: The World’s Hottest Ubuntu Linux Deployment

,----[ Quote ]
| The VAR Guy did some fact-checking. First, he investigated the T & A Lingerie
| site. (Hey, it’s a work assignment…). Then, he checked in with T & A Lingerie
| Operations Manager Gary Martin. “Are you really running Ubuntu?” The VAR Guy
| asked in an email to Martin.
|
| A few minutes later, Martin’s reply hit The VAR Guy’s inbox: “Thank you for
| your inquiry,” Martin wrote. “Yes we are running Ubuntu 8.04 and we love it.
| We have been free of Microsoft Windows XP Professional for two years now.”
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/16/found-the-worlds-hottest-ubuntu-linux-deployment/

Can Ubuntu Overcome The Status Quo?

,----[ Quote ]
| People often say certain software is “not ready for prime time.” But in
| reality, those people actually have a fear of the unfamiliar. Take my wife.
| for instance. When I started using Ubuntu, she was dead-set against me
| installing it as the lone system on our laptop.  She couldn’t bear the
| thought of being without Windows because “it’s what I know!” But she finally
| came around to Ubuntu. Here’s how.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/16/can-ubuntu-overcome-the-status-quo/

Recent:

CEO's Diary: Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| He has a set a number of practical tests. One was to test transitions to
| Windows Vista or Linux. People resisted both, but one no more than the other.
| So why not Linux?
|
| As important, he’s tested Open Office on a trial group. After very little
| effort in translation most could hardly spot the difference from a Microsoft
| product. After all, most people hardly use any of the features in either.
|
| The big issue now is email management. If we can manage that and diary
| scheduling OK (which is a big question) the real issue is when some Linux
| platforms are now very stable and have long term support, why are we
| Microsoft based?
`----

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=185613

Who Writes Linux and Who Supports It

,----[ Quote ]
| • Who is Writing Linux?
|
|     * Every Linux kernel is being developed by nearly 1,000 developers
|     working for more than 100 different corporations. This is the foundation
|     for the largest distributed software development project in the world.
|     * Since 2005, the number of active kernel developers has tripled,
|     reflecting the growing importance of Linux in the embedded systems,
|     server, and desktop markets.
|     * Between 70 and 95 percent of those developers are being paid for their
|     work, dispelling the “hobbyist” myth present from the start of open
|     source development.
|
| • Who is Sponsoring Linux?
|
|     * More than 70 percent of total contributions to the kernel come from
|     developers working at a range of companies including IBM, Intel, The
|     Linux Foundation
`----

http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/07/who-writes-linux-and-who-supports-it/

Making desktop Linux work for business

,----[ Quote ]
| Today's IT managers face tough choices. PCs that run fine today have an
| uncertain upgrade path, now that Microsoft has chosen to discontinue Windows
| XP. Upgrade costs associated with Vista, coupled with the ever-escalating
| cost of application licenses, make switching to desktop Linux an increasingly
| attractive option.
|
| For many businesses, however, it's difficult to know where to begin. The
| Linux market is broad and thriving, with myriad options to choose from. Most
| organizations will want to phase in Linux gradually, which in many cases will
| mean supporting a heterogeneous computing environment for the first time. As
| a result, it can be hard to predict where software incompatibilities might
| affect critical business processes.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/01/27FE-desktop-linux_1.html

Linux is ready, but consumers are not

,----[ Quote ]
| Haff said a window of opportunity for Linux ironically may lie in the demise
| of the desktop OS. "If you believe in the emergence of cloud computing, then
| the whole concept of running applications on the desktop starts to go away.
| This may well mean that Linux gets more interesting for client devices
| because now native applications do not matter so much," he said.
|
| Colin Sng, a systems engineer in a Singapore-based firm, who uses Windows,
| Mac and Linux OSes for work and at home, said the technology is ready, but
| obstacles lie mostly with the consumer.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62040974,00.htm

It's time to retire "ready for the desktop"

,----[ Quote ]
| Quite a few reviews of new Linux releases these days try to determine if a
| distribution is "ready for the desktop." I myself have probably been guilty
| of using that phrase, but I think it's time we officially retire this
| criterion.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/134808

Related:

Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't Lose This Product Key!
|
| Video blanking hassles
|
| Windows XP networking: Not for amateurs