[News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:51:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is Norton Internet Security 2009 just lipstick on a pig?

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite being pretty much the market leader in consumer IT security
| solutions, Symantec has spent years trying hard to shake off a well deserved
| reputation of hitting the unsuspecting public with resource hungry, slow
| products that are a bitch to uninstall.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20676/1054/

Windows 7 hits Milestone 3

,----[ Quote ]
| From what admittedly little I had a chance to see, Windows 7 does not look or
| feel like a major departure from Windows Vista.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1590

Recent:

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

Windows 7: R.I.P.

,----[ Quote ]
| Death throes. That’s how I’d describe the latest barrage of white papers from
| Microsoft. The company’s flagship, Windows Vista, is thrashing around in the
| shallows like a wounded animal, fighting in vain to escape the inevitable.
|
| [...]
|
| Now we learn that there’s no point in waiting for Windows 7 because,
| according to Microsoft, “it’ll be just like Vista.”
|
| Talk about eating your young! Microsoft is now publicly trashing their next
| version in order to salvage their current dud. Never mind that they’re
| killing the very positive mystique surrounding Windows 7. Company executives
| are hell bent on proving that the Vista “Refuseniks” were wrong, and they’re
| not above using force to achieve their goal.
|
| That’s right, hidden within their latest propaganda piece is the not so
| veiled threat that customers who bypass Vista risk widening the very
| compatibility chasm that dissuaded them in the first place. That’s because
| Microsoft has no intention of making it any easier for customers to upgrade
| to Windows 7 from XP than it is for them to upgrade from XP to Vista today.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/06/windows_7_rip.html

CIOs Uncensored: For The Sake Of IT, Leave XP Alone

,----[ Quote ]
| I just finished a presentation to a group of nontechnical executives, and I'm
| even more angry about Microsoft's plan to end shipments of Windows XP this
| summer. I'd been making my list of reasons Microsoft shouldn't get rid of XP.
| Now I've got one more biggie--it's going to set back the hard-earned progress
| CIOs have been making in getting IT viewed as a strategic part of their
| organizations.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/interviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208402425
http://tinyurl.com/57t2st

Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

,----[ Quote ]
| Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
| find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
| following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
| continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
| for quality products on their terms.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/04/10/microsofts-credibility-turning-to-junk-while-linux-revenue-grows/
http://tinyurl.com/5fojkd

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

,----[ Quote ]
| Would you believe... that Microsoft has dropped down to #86 within the
| Fortune Best Places to Work survey? That's down from #50 in 2007 and #42 in
| 2006. Like a rock. In a bad way. And who is #1 for two years in a row? Grab
| that chair and give it a big effen toss in the air to Google! Toot! They get
| bigger and they're still #1.
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/02/some-quick-quips-yahoo-86-and-mspoll.html

Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
| received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
| and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
| category was brand USA.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSL2850164020080331

What we do know about Windows 7