[News] GPLv3 Adoption Very High, Passes 3,000 Projects

  • Subject: [News] GPLv3 Adoption Very High, Passes 3,000 Projects
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:33:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 09/12

,----[ Quote ]
| After over a year of tracking GPL3 adoption, we would like to announce that
| 3000 projects have adopted version 3 of the GNU GPL License.  The strong
| adoption rate represented by this milestone shows the continued acceptance of
| this license by the Open Source and Free Software communities. We'd like to
| thank everyone that has been involved with this project.  Without your hard
| work, none of this would've been possible.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/09/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-0912.html

"Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

                                --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

Recent:

GPLv3, one year later

,----[ Quote ]
| As Brown points out, "GPLv3 is probably the most adopted license in the last
| year. And it seems to achieve its aims thus far." For any other license, this
| performance would be a runaway success. It is only by comparison with the
| dominance of the second version of the GPL licenses that the success of the
| third versions might seem disappointing.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/139885

How The GPL Defangs Patent Trolls

,----[ Quote ]