[News] "Open" Video Player is a Faker (Proprietary)

  • Subject: [News] "Open" Video Player is a Faker (Proprietary)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:29:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How Open is the Open Video Player Initiative?

,----[ Quote ]
| What's curious about this self-styled open source site – whatever that
| means – is that two of the initiative's partners are Adobe and Microsoft, and
| in the downloads section, we are currently offered code for Adobe's Flash and
| Microsoft's Silverlight, which are hardly open source foundations. Open
| source, here, seems little more than a digital fig-leaf.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=1265

Related:

"Good enough" ethics and "good enough" open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Journal defined "ethics" broadly as "socially responsible," and then set
| about trying to determine just how socially responsible consumers demand of a
| company before they'll take their business elsewhere...
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9943296-16.html

When is Open Source not Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]