[News] Large Survey Shows Which GNU/Linux Distributions Are Preferred

  • Subject: [News] Large Survey Shows Which GNU/Linux Distributions Are Preferred
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:44:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

High-end developers choose commercial Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers are choosing commercial, rather than non-commercial, distributions
| of Linux when it comes to building high-performance or mission-critical
| systems, according to new research.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2226144/developers-choose-commercial

Developers Prefer Commercial Linux for High Performance and Mission Critical
Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to leading edge or High Performance Computing, open source
| developers overwhelmingly say they would recommend using commercial versions
| of Linux over non-commercial versions, according to the latest Evans Data
| Corp Open Source Software and Linux survey. A similar number would also
| recommend commercial versions over non-commercial for mission-critical large
| enterprise development and data center development. Non-commercial Linux is
| preferred for web development and embedded systems.
`----

http://www.businesswire.chttp://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080916006196&newsLang=enom/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080916006196&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/5stw9a

Recent:

- From Linspire to PCLinuxOS via Mandriva 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Pretty good install, all the things I need working and as a bonus this is the
| only distro I have tried that will allow Audacity to run concurrently with
| other apps as well as allowing it to record and play in the same session!
`----

http://www.planstoprosper.org.uk/index.php?itemid=33

Related:

StartCom Delivers Free Enterprise Server

,----[ Quote ]
| The StartCom website has an active forum with sections dedicated to specific
| issues such as the StartCom Linux installation forum. Most of the questions
| posted to the site are answered the same day. The site also has an FAQ and
| provides a search capability for the forum messages. StartCom offers customer
| specific solutions as a paid service if you need more than the free support.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6422/1/

StartCom MultiMedia Edition ML-5.0.6 (Kessem) Update RC1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce the release candidate of version ML-5.0.6 of the
| StartCom MultiMedia Edition codenamed "Kessem".
`----

http://forum.startcom.org/viewtopic.php?t=1241

Shift Linux Art Contest

,----[ Quote ]