Re: X11 multi-head displays - nothing new - Re: Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

____/ Tom Shelton on Tuesday 16 September 2008 08:38 : \____

> On 2008-09-16, JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The problem is that I have a ViewSonic 19" LCD that Kubuntu - as of
>>
>>     ...sounds suspicously like the one I am using now.
>>
>>     Had no problems in Debian or Ubuntus  6.06, 7.10 or 8.04.
>>

> Well, goody for you.  I have.
>
>>> the 7.04 relesase (Fiesty Fawn) - does not configure said monitor with
>>> the correct refresh and resolution which is 1440x900 at 60Hz.  So, it
>>> looks like crap until I edit xorg.conf and then restart X.
>>>
>>> Maybe this is fixed in 8.04.  I'm willing to wipe that partition and
>>> reinstall the newest version and find out.

>> [deletia]

>>> What do you expect when you make a reply like you did?  Why don't you
>>> simply google it.  There have been lots of surveys and studies on this
>>
>>      Another F for rhetoric.
>>
>>> - but most of them report 20%-30% productivity increase.   I'm still
>>> trying to figure out where the "cheap bastards" remark comes from...
>>
>>      You've yet to come up with any compelling reason for anyone
>> to go out and to bother with a 2nd monitor. Weak attempts at
>> appeals to authority really don't cut it.
>>
>>      We are left with stabs in the dark (like cost per square cm).
>>

> This is getting lame.  Look, I don't care if you see an advantage to multiple
> monitors or not - but, I do and I like using them.  With Windows, I can set
> this up in about 5 minutes - I have yet to get it working satisfactorily with
> Linux.  At least with Gentoo.  I haven't really tried it with another distro
> yet.

Maybe you ought to. Gentoo is considered a 'hard' distro. If you choose to play
hardball, don't complain that GNU/Linux is hard.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
         run-level 5  Sep  9 06:16                   last=S