[News] GNU/Linux Rises While Windows Vista is Killing Microsoft

Microsoft’s Vista armor starting to fade

,----[ Quote ]
| HP denies that they are making an OS to rival Vista, but, they do acknowledge
| that they are developing software that would bypass some of its functions
| altogether. HP formed the “customer experience” group nine months ago in an
| effort to give customers a quick and easy alternative to certain
| applications. The team is focusing on touchscreen technology where users can
| watch movies or view pictures.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/09/14/microsofts-vista-armor-starting-to-fade/

Will Windows Vista be the death of Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| The last few weeks has seen a steady increase in the number of rumours about
| the Windows Vista operating system and the potential for new operating
| systems to hit the market over the next couple of years. The latest rumours
| relate to a suggestion that Hewlett Packard (HP) is on the verge of beginning
| work on a new Linux based operating system which they hope will eventually
| compete in the open market with Windows Vista. Fact or fiction?
`----

http://itvibe.com/news/4475/

Microsoft Remains a Company on the Defensive

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft even went so far recently as to mask Vista as a new operating
| system called Mojave, and showed people's reaction on hidden camera.
| Apparently, people who claimed they wouldn't buy Vista were wowed by it when
| they saw it in action under a different name. The blind taste test might work
| for soft drinks, but there's more to an operating system than a quick taste.
| Let's let these people live with Vista for a few weeks, then record their
| reactions. Something tells me it wouldn't be very flattering.

Why is the media covering those ads so much? It's just amplifying them.

Recent:

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent