Re: [SOT] IP laws creating 'bare medicine chest'

____/ Phil Da Lick! on Monday 15 September 2008 08:34 : \____

> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>> <quote>
>> The world's intellectual property (IP) system is broken and the benefits of
>> biotechnology are being blocked by patent laws, according to the authors of
>> a seven-year study.
>> </quote>
>>
>> http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/10/2360875.htm
>>
>> It appears that the patent system that has been foisted on the world does
>> nothing but limit innovation.
>>
>> Ian
>
> Can't remember where I saw it but I noticed a quote this weekend about
> the sheer lunacy of letting the pro-patent brigade (ie the patent
> office, and patent lawyers) direct government policy on what is
> patentable (in their eyes: everything - more applications=more
> rubberstamping=more bonuses for the uspto grunts).
>
> Kind of like letting the loonies run the asylum. Only in america.

It reminded me of something. The USPTO is like a conference so bad that
everything (submission or randomly generated paper) is accepted.

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/

Talks

Thanks to the generous donations of 165 people, we went to WMSCI 2005 in
Orlando and held our own "technical" session in the same hotel. The
(randomly-generated) title of the session was The 6th Annual North American
Symposium on Methodologies, Theory, and Information. The session included
three randomly-generated talks:

    * Harnessing Byzantine Fault Tolerance Using Classical Theory
      Dr. Thaddeus Westerson, Institute for Human Understanding (Max)
    * Synthesizing Checksums and Lambda Calculus using Jog
      Dr. Mark Zarqawi, American Freedom University (Jeremy)
    * On the Study of the Ethernet
      Franz T. Shenkrishnan, PhD, Network Analysis Laboratories (Dan)

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
Cpu(s): 22.8%us,  3.5%sy,  0.1%ni, 72.3%id,  1.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st